Cheap Finder??

• uhlee1
    Dav. IA

I’m looking at buying a cheap fishfinder for $200 or less.
    So far its between the Humminbird 565 and the Lowrance x96.
    Any opinions on the two or have a better one in mind. The 565 seems to outway the x96 in features. But i’m not after features, I am after fish and bottom detail. Color and GPS are not a concern either.
    I am sure either one would suit my needs. Just thought I would ask the experts here at IDA. The links to each are at the bottom.

Thanks for weighing in.

X96

shaley
    Milford IA

My buddie has a 96 on the bow of his boat works good as a depth finder wouldnt trust it as far as telling you theres fish down there.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

look for a good used Lowrance X-125 you can pick up one up under $200 I see Wade has a used 250C color unit in that price range.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If you’re buying new, the Eagle 480 is about as good as you can get for $200. It does a bang up job for a black/white unit. Personally, I would save up a little longer and buy a color unit.

I have the Eagle Fish Mark 500C (around $300 new) and a lowrance 102C ($350 new). Either of these blow away the black/white units.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

The x96 is a nice unit but the Eagle Fishmark 480 will do all of that and give you a little higher screen resolution. Either will be a good choice in that price range though.

I do have a Garmin 250C color fishfinder for $250 if you’re interested in a low-cost color unit.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

I’m not counting anything out yet. However, the local Gander MT has a Raymarine DS400X on clearance for $199. I know what electronics and technologies Raytheon is capable of, so I would assume it is a great little unit. Although fishing is not exactly there cup of tea. Any advice on this one??

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

If you went to either coast you’d find Raytheon is more popular than here in the midwest. If you’re just looking for the bottom, almost anything will work well. If you want to see fish and more bottom detail, I’d consider buying the best used unit I could find for the same money.

Pete

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

For the money, that little Raymarine DS400x is a nice unit.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I run a hummingbird 565 on my bow, which I like, and also a fishmark 480 on my counsil. I like that unit as well, it is pretty versital. both are a good bang for the buck and would be a good choice. that is IMO!!

shane

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Well Raymarine it is. It only took 3 visits to Gander to get someone to come to the fishing dept. So other than probably the worst service you can imagine I think I got a pretty good deal. $195 but it is missing one of the knobs.

So thanks again everyone and I will crack open one of my homebrews for all of you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.