Tracker Tundra’s on BASS Elite/Erie

• Todd_NE

I admit it, I thought this was cool and had to share it

A couple of the Bassmaster Elite Series boats are sure to stand out from the crowd in upcoming tournaments on lakes Champlain, Erie and Oneida.

And not because of their wraps.

Veteran pros Tim Horton and Brian Snowden have forsaken their Procraft fiberglass boats (temporarily) and will be piloting 21-foot Tracker Tundra Deep V aluminum models.

“Bass Pro and Tracker have wrapped the boats and rigged them especially for big water bass-fishing situations,” Snowden says. These boats will allow ourselves, as well as our co-anglers, the advantage over other anglers to travel further in rough-water situations.”

Snowden and Horton went to their bosses at Tracker looking for an edge when it came to safety and a faster mode of travel in 4- and 5-foot waves that are typical of those lakes.

“They thought it was a good way to showcase that boat,” Snowden notes. “It’s a market up here where they sell quite a few and they thought it was a real unique idea that bass fishermen would want to use this boat in a tournament.”

These boats, designed primarily for big-water walleye fishing, should provide a smoother ride when those notoriously fickle bodies of water get windy, wild and wooly.

But it will be odd seeing those high-profile bass pros doing a little low-riding in their walleye sleds.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I bet they will be second guessing themselves after hitting some big waves with an aluminum boat!

Todd_NE

They are formed aluminum Calvin, not traditionally manufactured. They really do ride nice in big waves.

I really wasn’t even trying to overly promote Tracker. It’s just neat that the bass guys recognize walleye/multi-species rigs as maybe giving them an edge on big water! Just the same as a Ranger BASS guy running a 621 looking for an edge, that type of deal.

Someone asked me for a link
    http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tournaments/elite/news/story?page=b_elites_tucker_blog

Todd_NE

BassFan’s Article

GO NORTH…….. WITH A NEW LOOK
    Brian Snowden and Tim Horton Make a Change for the New York Swing

Story by Dan O’Sullivan and Mark Jeffreys – Photos by Andy Benson and Mark Jeffreys

Springfield, Mo. – Many companies will go to extraordinary lengths to help their pros in tournaments. Overnight packages routinely fly back and forth, and they are full of lures, line, rods and reels. The companies are fully invested in the careers of their anglers, and a victory for the angler is nothing short of a victory for the company as well.

Tracker Marine is once again showing their support for their team members with a show of support as their Elite Series anglers ready to venture out onto the New York Swing. Lake Champlain and Lake Erie are huge bodies of water, they are known for big sacks of smallmouth caught on offshore structure and giant swells of waves that are reminiscent of the ocean.

Tracker, led by the efforts of Field Promotions Manager Andy Benson is setting up two of their pro staffers with boats that are specifically designed to fish big water. Benson told The BASS ZONE how it came about setting up Elite series pros Brian Snowden and Timmy Horton with 21-foot Tracker Tundra 21 SC for the New York Swing.

“We talked to Timmy at Lake Guntersville about it,” Benson told The BASS ZONE. “After discussing the pros and cons with Gary Parsons and Keith Kavajecz, Tracker’s Professional Walleye Tour Anglers, and hearing all of the benefits the boats offer, we decided to explore the options.”

The first step was presenting the idea to BASS, so Benson got a hold of BASS Tournament Director Trip Weldon, who studied the specifications of the vessels, examined the livewells, and whether or not a Co-angler could fish from the boat or not. Weldon approved the use of the boats, so Benson and Jeff Tolle and Lance Peck of Dynamic Sponsorships in Tulsa, Okla. went to work on wrapping the Tundras to BASS’ specifications and preparing them for competition.

“We finished wrapping them on July 5 at 2:00 AM, just in time to load them on the trucks for New York,” Benson said. “A team of drivers is pulling out this morning [July 5] to drive straight through to get them there by Saturday.”

“The Tundra is an aluminum hull that is built with our patented process of molding the metal into a hull that is not riveted or welded,” Benson reported. “The process makes it an incredibly durable and stable vessel for big water. Gary [Parsons] and Keith [Kavajecz] say it is the most functional and comfortable boats they have used, and exposing it in this way will show Northern bass anglers a different option for their watercraft.”

Snowden and Horton each had their reasons for agreeing to be the ‘Tracker Tundra Test Pilots,’ but both anglers feel that the boat will give them opportunity to get to, and fish in areas that standard fiberglass bass boats would not.

“The design of the hull will allow me to drive more comfortably in big waves,” Snowden said. “Not only that, but it also is more efficient for fishing offshore structure in the swells.” Horton also sees the advantages, “I think the biggest benefit will be in the navigating of the waterways,” the 2000 Angler of the Year exclaimed. “I’ve been on Lake Michigan at the Classic, and the Detroit side of Lake Erie, so I’m looking forward to this boat.”

Both anglers will have their personal boats with them on the New York swing, and have arranged with Co-angler friends to tow their Tundras to the next event. Having both vessels there will give the anglers the flexibility to choose which boat they fish out of based on the conditions and the style they are fishing.

“I will definitely be in the Tundra at Erie,” the 34-year-old Snowden said. “I will see how things go at Champlain, if I am fishing smallmouth deep, I will most likely be in the Tundra.” Horton said he was looking at things similarly, “I’ve heard that the Buffalo side of Lake Erie can be brutal, so I know that I will be in it there, but I will see how things develop at Champlain.”

Both of the 21-foot boats are set up with Mercury Optimax Pro XS motors, and are rigged with the pros accessories, and while the top speeds will not be as high as the bass boats they are usually in, they know the comfort and flexibility are well worth it. They both feel that there are only two questions that they will have to sort out in practice; rod storage on the deck and landing fish.

“The walls of the boat are higher, so landing fish might not be as easy,” Snowden said. “And the boat is a dual console so laying the rods on the deck might be a little challenging, but I will work it out.” While Horton said that he was puzzling through the rod storage issue on the deck, he felt that a recent trend should allow him to land fish fairly easily.

“Most of us are landing fish on the back deck these days; because it is lower to the water,” Horton reported. “Having been in the Tundras at Media days and dealer meetings, I’m sure that I will do the same in this boat, and landing fish shouldn’t be a problem.”

“I am really thankful for Tracker Marine for going to these steps to help us out,” Snowden said. “I just hope Timmy and I do well enough to make it worthwhile for them.”

Horton was also thankful, “this just shows the class of Tracker Marine, and the whole Johnny Morris / Bass Pro Shops family,” Horton exclaimed. “They have really gone the extra mile to help us be successful, and I am truly thankful for them and proud to be associated with them.”

Todd_NE

another pic from BassZone

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Sounds to me like they are starting to smarten up!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Nice looking rig ! Now all that baby needs is a kicker.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.