ANYBODY EVER FLY WITH FISHING RODS?

• et1770
    Shakopee, MN

I’m entered as a co-angler in some of the Bassmaster Opens this year. I’m flying to the tournaments. I checked with the airlines, and they told me fishing rods have to be checked. I looked at the hard cases available from BassPro and Cabellas, but the reviews seem to be more negative than positive. Anybody have a good idea how to get my rods there in one piece?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I know Sun Country only allows tubes up to six feet. I had to buy a couple two piece rods last time I was on a flight. Don’t know what the restrictions are for other airlines though.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I use PVC pipe with one end capped and the other end with threaded clean out cap. Cheap, homemade, and so far dependable. I do not take my best rods. I have my name and address on it with permenent marker also a little note for the inspectors to please screw the cap on tight. It’s made 3 or 4 trips to Florida, starting to look a little rough but still works. Bought everthing at Farm & Fleet. On the inside of the ends I put spounge rubber and tied about 1″ nylon ? strap on for a handle.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Along with what Jighead said,
    wrap your rods in some old towels so they do not rattle around inside the tube. the rods only would go into the tubes. reels and everything else can go into your regular luggage.
    Go luck with the tournament.
    I’ve thought about doing the same thing, but haven’t yet.
    DO KEEP us posted on your progress and reports.
    Jack..

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’ve been to Mexico several times and have had good luck with a Frabill hard case. the one i have allows you to carry 3 rods with reels attached and is extendable. try it out. it goes out to 84″.

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Steveo is right it is reall easy. Just go buy a rod holder and put your rods in there it is very easy i dont think there is any length restictions either because when i went to Alaska i brought two 7 fts with.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

I like that PVC idea, as long as the inspectors don’t tear it to pieces thinking it is some sort of homemade bomb. What scares me about the Frabils and Plano’s are some of the reviews people have written saying that the tubes have been crushed and rods broken. I did read one article that talked about tying rods together in pairs, tip to butt, with the tip about 6″ from the end of the butt. Then surround both ends of all the rods with crumpled newspaper. No matter which case I use, I will definitely do this.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

they won’t tear the PVC tubes apart. x-ray. that Frabill has been bulltetproof for me and you can keep the reels on the rods. lots of padding. i got it as a gift but I think they retail for around 80 bucks. i didn’t travel with my best rods. i don’t think that’s a good idea in any situation.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Anyone ever look into shipping UPS, USPS or something?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

When I go to Alaska, I always ship UPS. If you need rod tubes Cal, give me a ring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.