Steering cables

• Art

Are they hard to replace? Have an older Lund-86. Boat is in real good shape otherwise. I’m not too far from retirement and want to get a couple more years out of this boat before I get new one. I’m pretty handy at fixing things but have found that some times you need special equipment and it’s not worth the hassle to do it yourself. Thanks

showags
    Hastings, MN

It’s not too bad. The hardest part is making sure you have access under the helm and along the gunwal. If you cannot find a direct cross reference for that model, you will have to pull the old one out and measure it to make sure you get the proper one. You may also have to get a new steering wheel depending on what kind of hub you can get.

Art

Thanks. Probaly better off taking it in then.

rmartin
    United States

I did it, it was a whole afternoon job. Figuring out the proper size length was not too difficult, but I was worried when I ordered it. Just take careful measurements. You will probably need to do some drilling and cutting in your dash depending on the style you get. I would highly recommend the one called the Safe-T. My old Lund had a rack and pinion steering setup and it was a continual hassle after 10 years or so. I was often able to get the old system working satisfactoraly by lubing the cable back end and spring tension and drive shaft of the wheel, but eventually gave up when it became a regular problem. There is something called the “Cable Buddy” that lets you inject grease into the back end of the cable where the bend is. This is usually one of the bad spots in the system. Cost is around $35 and possibly could get you the extra couple of years you are looking for. Once I got out the old cable, I shoved a piece of PVC tubing that the new cable would fit through into the old hole through the gunwale. This made running the new cable back through the hull much easier. Another thing was that the kit usually comes with a 90 degree cover for the dash and I needed a beveled one and had to send to the company for it.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Mine took about an hour to do. I must be lucky. Very easy access to everything. Only had to remove one panel along the side. Took me longer to get the boat off the lake when my old one broke than to replace it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.