Lower unit oil change question???

• Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I changed the lower unit oil last fall on my 40 hp Evinrude. After it all drained out I put in a “full tube” (I think like 11 ounces) back into it. I didn’t fill it up enough to have any oil come out the top hole and sealed it back up. What I am wondering is if I put enough in. Does it have to be full to the top (coming out the top hole) or is 1 tube enough?? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Bob Bowman
    MN

No 1 tube is not enough if it is not full to the top. I would get another tube and fill it to the top.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

For a few $s this is not a corner that you should cut!
    cheers

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Fill ‘er up. Also, dump the tube and get a pump like the one shown in this picture.>>>> Lower Unit Oil Pump.

The pump will pay for it self in time by purchasing your lower unit oil by the quart.

-J.

mikev

I second the pump, they really work out well.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Pump it full with the pump. The pump pumps it up from the bottom, pushing out all air. Then drain out 1 shot glass back out of the bottom plug, while putting the plug back in. You do not want it “plump” full. Needs 1 oz drained back out.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

Yeah, make sure to fill it up. The tubes have less in them now than years ago and no longer fill up my Evin. motor either. As the other guys have already stated, the pump is a great way to solve that problem.

hunt4fun
    becker Minnesota

get the pump my in-laws learned the hard way had to buy a lower unit

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Needs 1 oz drained back out.

This happens naturally for me as I put the lower plug in place after getting the top one in.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Curmudgeon;
    It happens to the vast majority of us, which is good!

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Thanks for the help on this. This is a good lesson, I went back and the lower unit took almost another full tube. I would estimate that it needs almost 20 ounces to fill it up all the way.
    Also that is a great cabela’s link (check out the video clips) I’m going with the pump next time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.