Mercury Blackmax 175 h.p.

• gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

At the beggining of winter I had the great oppurtunity of buying a boat that has a Merc Blackmax 175 h.p. on it. I got this at a deal to good to be true. But me not having much luck with Mercs in the past dont know to much about them. My first being a 50 horse merc left me stranded at the doc. Minor problem turned out.
    The second Merc my 115 was a great motor but cost me an arm and leg when the computer went on it. Which I blew a cylinder last year. Now I bought this boat and of coarse I have a yard full of boats already so I am in a position of trying to figure out what I am going to set the boats up for as fishing wise for the upcoming season.
    I was focusing on this one being set up for MilleLacs fishing 21 foot boat deep and wide with a big motor,BUT yes there is a BUT, are these motors reliable motors? I do not want to be stuck out on Millelacs drifting around with no real horse power to get back to shore.
    So if anyone knows anything about these motors please let me know before I give this boat a makeover…

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Glenn,

I can’t talk to this motor. But I shot you a PM with a name and number.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Thanks Chris

gary_wellman
    South Metro

First thing to do is call a local dealer with the SN, year, and model of motor. They can do a search to see if any warranty work was done and with this information you can verify that motor isn’t stolen.

2nd recommendation is to call Eddie Lybeck up in Isle. Eddie is a “master-mind” in my opinion on Merc motors. I have had lengthy conversations with him about my old motor and the guy seems to know his stuff very well.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The Black Max motors were build for speed. The lower units are geared for bass boats. Not sure how well they would perform on a big heavy 20+ foot boat, especially pushing one over big Milly rollers. Just something to consider.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Thanks Jon that is kinda what I was looking at is what these motors were used for and how well built they are. The guy I bought it from is a 70 year guy and he claims it is way to fast for him. But I was wanting to make sure this motor was going to get the boat up and out of the water when the time was needed. I was also looking at if the motor is a good strong one that I may consider looking into a Bass Boat for its new home..
    As for the other post I know the motor is not stolen I have the original receipt of purchase…
    As for warranty work I will be looking into it..Thanks guys…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

There is a following for that motor. Kinda like an old 4 bolt main 350 chev. Strong, reliable and fast. There are a ton of after market “bolt on accessories” to really squeeze the HP out of those babies.

-J.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

I was also looking at if the motor is a good strong one that I may consider looking into a Bass Boat for its new home..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.