50hp E-TEC vs. 50hp Merc , 60hp Yamaha 4-strokes

• etecangler1

After reading through the other thread about E-TEC vs. 4-stroke I thought I’d make my own thread because it seems I am the only one that actually tried all of the above.

This was on identical War Eagle 860 LDV hulls right down to exact battery and fuel tank. First was the 50hp E-TEC vs. the Yamaha 4-stroke…

The Yamaha was quieter than the E-TEC at idle, but through the power ban there wasn’t so much of a difference. Take off the E-TEC was the clearly winner here as was top speed. Full throttle turns the Yamaha had to be almost shut down(maybe because of the small diameter prop) where the E-TEC was able to turn without any washout from the prop.
    WINNER E-TEC

The 50hp E-TEC vs. the 50hp Mercury 4-stroke had almost identical results as with the first test. The only difference I saw was that the Merc, although still slower than the E-TEC, seemed to be faster than the Yamaha.
    WINNER E-TEC

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the current outboards on the market. The reason for this post is because I’m sick of “the E-TEC does this and doesn’t do that” crap. It’s easy to bad talk something that you have no idea what you’re talking about I guess.

And one more thing about the Mercury 60hp and under 4-strokes, they are NOT built in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin…all of those models are built by Tohatsu in China.

Todd_NE

Let’s get at least some of your facts straight
    http://www.rbbi.com/links/outboard.htm

1. 2006 model Mercury four strokes from 2.5 through 30 HP are built by Tohatsu.
    2. Last year (2005), Mercury four stroke powerheads from 25 through 225 HP (except the Verados) were built by Yamaha. Several of those models used Mercury drive legs, electronics and EFI systems (replacing carbs Yamaha used in similar sized engines).
    Last year (2005), Mercury four stroke powerheads from 25 through 225 HP (except the Verados) were built by Yamaha. Several of those models used Mercury drive legs, electronics and EFI systems (replacing carbs Yamaha used in similar sized engines).
    3. In 2006 models, Mercury four stroke powerheads from 40 to 225 HP (except the Verados) are built by Yamaha.
    4. Merc’s agreement with Yamaha ended in March 2006, at which time Mercury is expected to phase in more four cylinders (75 to 115 HP) based on the Verado engine block, but without supercharging or intercooling.

It must be boat show season

Quote:

After reading through the other thread about E-TEC vs. 4-stroke I thought I’d make my own thread because it seems I am the only one that actually tried all of the above.

This was on identical War Eagle 860 LDV hulls right down to exact battery and fuel tank. First was the 50hp E-TEC vs. the Yamaha 4-stroke…

The Yamaha was quieter than the E-TEC at idle, but through the power ban there wasn’t so much of a difference. Take off the E-TEC was the clearly winner here as was top speed. Full throttle turns the Yamaha had to be almost shut down(maybe because of the small diameter prop) where the E-TEC was able to turn without any washout from the prop.
    WINNER E-TEC

The 50hp E-TEC vs. the 50hp Mercury 4-stroke had almost identical results as with the first test. The only difference I saw was that the Merc, although still slower than the E-TEC, seemed to be faster than the Yamaha.
    WINNER E-TEC

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the current outboards on the market. The reason for this post is because I’m sick of “the E-TEC does this and doesn’t do that” crap. It’s easy to bad talk something that you have no idea what you’re talking about I guess.

And one more thing about the Mercury 60hp and under 4-strokes, they are NOT built in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin…all of those models are built by Tohatsu in China.

jhalfen

Quote:

It must be boat show season

*yawn* I’ve been thinking the same thing.

Lemme guess…your Dad can beat my Dad up too, right? Or is it, my Dad can beat up your Dad.

Interesting opinions and “studies” guys. Let’s just do a good job of keeping it civil.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks for posting your results. But who really is looking for hole shots and top end speed with a 50 HP?

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Compare apples to apples E-TEC VS OPTI.

2Fishy4U

Actually my son and I have tried or owned E-TEC, Suziki and Mercury. We have no experience with the Yamaha, although the few independent tests you can find rank it up there with the former two.

Merc does not fair quite as well. As an aside the E-tec’s are built in Sturdivant, WI. which is better then China, hopefully.

My personal preference is E-Tec.

Backwaters

Quote:

Mercury has a joint venture with Tohatsu. All Mercury 40-60hp 4-strokes are built in China. After all of the lawsuits towards the overseas outboard market, Mercury did this to stay competitive in the market.

There is a thread about the E-tec and other outboards, so why is everyone jumping on this e-tec_angler. Some of you act as if the guy slapped your kid around. Never in my life have I seen so much jealously or whatever it is about this E-tec.

Backwaters

Quote:

Compare apples to apples E-TEC VS OPTI.

Sorry but there isn’t an Opti in the 40-60hp class. The Opti still has E-TEC with their XS models, but that’s where it ends. The 75hp through 200hp, E-TEC wins hands down.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

There is a thread about the E-tec and other outboards, so why is everyone jumping on this e-tec_angler. Some of you act as if the guy slapped your kid around. Never in my life have I seen so much jealously or whatever it is about this E-tec.

After 6 years off running this site I still don’t understand why people get so personally charged about which motor the next guy likes or has on his boat.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

After 6 years off running this site I still don’t understand why people get so personally charged about which motor the next guy likes or has on his boat.

AAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

Such a silly conversation.
    Every outboard motor maker has had issues in the past and yet none of them are producing a bad motor!

The minute differences in performance are so minimal that your average boat operator will never know the difference due to not running the “perfect prop” or knowing how to handle/operate their own boat to “peak performance”.

krisko
    Durand, WI

The best motor I had was a 9hp Chilson…above water exhaust. It pushed my 10′ alum boat and it almost got wind in your hair. She sure purred and you would have thought that I was doin 100mph.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My favorite outboard of all times was a prehistoric looking evinrude 6 horse. It was a pain to start. It did run well once you got it to pop. Prior to that motor I was rowing…

That feeling of power and freedom was priceless!

Look at me… I’m going 7 MPH!

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Arguments aside, I like seeing the attempts at apple to apple comparisons.

As far as any comparison with 4-strokes go, I would think an important separate category would be trolling/idle speed noise level.

In some of these brand name war arguments defense, I think it’s important that people that have success with brands that are typically picked on speak out about their good experiences so other people don’t just assume that one brand is the only option.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I think it’s important that people that have success with brands that are typically picked on speak out about their good experiences so other people don’t just assume that one brand is the only option.

Agreed. Completely. What’s the point of this place if guys can’t share their insights / opinions of their own motors. What boggles my mind is how defensive some people get when someone says good things about a motor that isn’t the same color as the one on the back of their own boat.

What would be fun would be to get a group of guys together with different boats / motors and just swap ride / drive time. It would be apparent in a hurry which motors ran well on a particular boat, which motors idled quiet and which ones had difficiencies if you could test a bunch in the same day.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Because they are silly and don’t run Yammies!!!

brandengifford
    Franklin TN.

I think that’s a great idea, i drive a 2001 Champion 203 with a Yamaha 225. If you guys decide to do it email me @ [email protected] and i’ll be there.

jeff6771

Ok it seems your upset that not everyone likes what you own.YOUR MOTOR IS BETTER THAN MINE are you happy?ill be on the water enjoying my four stroke.

ted-merdan

e-tec_angler

If you are going to post here and publish YOUR comparisions you need to include the following to be considered credible.

– Timed acceleration numbers for hole shot, mid-range, etc
    – Prop size on each motor
    – RPM’s at WOT
    – Motor set-up (which hole, etc.)
    – conditions during each test
    – etc.

Otherwise what’s the use? It’s all a matter of gut feel…

jimmy6pak

I dont have a boat yet, but I’ll be there to test drive yours if thats alright…

2Fishy4U

Mine is the low profile 15HP Evinrude built in the 1980’s. I have one on my 14 foot Jon Boat and my son has another for trolling on his Lake Michigan Cruiser.

Last spring you guys had an auction for a 15 HP Evinrude from someone in Trempleau. It looked new and I still kick myself for not buying it. If I remember correctly it sold for another $400.00 with gas tank.

Backwaters

Quote:

e-tec_angler

If you are going to post here and publish YOUR comparisions you need to include the following to be considered credible.

– Timed acceleration numbers for hole shot, mid-range, etc
    – Prop size on each motor
    – RPM’s at WOT
    – Motor set-up (which hole, etc.)
    – conditions during each test
    – etc.

Otherwise what’s the use? It’s all a matter of gut feel…

I take it you have one of the “others” mentioned? I think if you want those specifics, you might have to ante up and do the test yourself. From what I’ve seen with various outboards, e-tec_angler is pretty dead on.

wkw

This discussion reminds me of farmers arguing John Deere vs IH or gearheads talking Chevy vs Ford. To each their own. Oh, by the way, I got a Mercury.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Do any of you ETEC owners run them in the winter? Any issues?

How about charging batteries at idle when your electronics are on.

Thanks!

evileye
    Milan Il

I would agree there are lots of great motors out there, and it just depends on what you have had good luck with and have confidence in, I like Lund Boats and Yammi motors
    But since Lund won’t sell me one now I like g3 or alumacraft boats and Yammi’s

Backwaters

Quote:

Do any of you ETEC owners run them in the winter? Any issues?

How about charging batteries at idle when your electronics are on.

Thanks!

As long as it is programmed for and using XD100, it’s the only outboard I’ve seen start right up in 15 degree weather and keep running. I run more amp drawing lights than any electronics and haven’t seen any problems. I like the E-TEC, others hate it just because and still have no experience with one.

With any of the outboards I don’t think you can go wrong these days, but until I come across something that I think is better…an E-TEC will hang from my transom.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Hate to disagree with you. But I can name 3 right now that dont, and are running the XD 100. All new mapping.

Backwaters

And I can equally name Yamaha’s and Merc’s that are having worse issues. What’s the point? I am able to see both sides of the outboard business and all manufacturers have problems. From what I am seeing E-TEC is having alot less, but maybe that is because of a per unit thing.

As I said before, all outboards can be good…but until someone ups the E-TEC, that’s what I’ll have.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The point is as I have said in all these posts. Let’s stop the chest pounding about who is better. You are never going to make a Merc guy buy an ETEC or a Yamaha, or any combination of the above. Let it die, and move on. What is the point? Really? The fact that your 50 horse can go 1 MPH more than mine? Is it cabin fever or what? Every, and I stress EVERY motor manufacturer has skeletons in their closet. That is why you will never here one say “We make the perfect motor for all conditions!” “We have the best top speed, gas mileage, sound, vibration, color…” So why do this excersize in futility?

ARCH
    southern minnesota

(singing) “Tuck is Lion hear him roar”

I agree with you though Tuck, everyone has the motor that they like, and their motor is always the best.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My first boat had a Merc. Second had a Evinrude, Third a Johnson, and the one I have now a Yamaha, and have had no problems with any of them. So my next boat will have what ever I get the best deal on

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.