Power Auger wont start ( any help would be great)

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Just trying to get my power auger started and wondered if anyone new of a solution or ideas before i try and take it to a mechanic. Thanks

Email me at [email protected]

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

Number one thing you should check for is spark. Take the spark plug out attach the wire back to the plug. Hold the plug to the engine and pull the starter cord. Watch for the spark. Number 2 thing take off the muffler and clean out all of the carbon build up. If nether one of those work let me know and I could try to help you more.

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

air, spark and fuel. what is it doing/not doing?
    if it has been sitting since last year, I would put fresh gas/oil in it, new plug, drain the carb bowl and go from there.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Mine does this every year and it’s usually due to the carb being gunked up. One of my first resorts aside from the spark plugs that other people mentioned here is STARTING FLUID! It will kick it off for sure. The question is can you keep it going.

Also, if this won’t work and you notice that the butterfly valve is stuck, you’ll probably need to rebuild your carb.

PS
    I’m no expert, this is just my experience.

MrB

As others have mentioned, replace the spark plug and put in new gas/oil(should be 24:1). I would also recommend using Seafoam. I run it in EVERYTHING I own and have never had any problems. Other than that, if it has been sitting for awhile, you may need to rebuild the carb. Pretty easy to do too. Good luck.

Todd_NE

This is really dumb…

But mine wouldn’t start the other night and I start it every month, stabil, etc.

I finally put it to run instead of choke and and it popped right off, it was in a garage that’s about 40 deg.

Last night I put it to choke and it started in 3 pulls. Go figure.

T

ozzyky
    On water

While we are on the subject…..mine starts and idles fine but it when I hit the throttle nothing is there. All connections seem good to go for me? It’s an 04 jiffy 8 inch. model.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Plugged main jet……….or possibly a bad diapram.

pickeral_boy

Same thing happened last year for me. The gas pump is a diafram that dries out with only sticky oil residue in it, thus malfunctioning. I took the air cleaner cover off, squirted some gas into it and pulled. I had to do this a few times until if fired enough times to get some fresh gas in pump. After that it ran real sweet. I haven’t taken it out yet, but I expect to do the same this year.
    B

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

Could be a couple of things. One is that your carb is gummed up and you need to take it apart and clean it really good with carb and choke cleaner. Some small engines will start and idle fine but when you give it gas nothing changes, usually a plugged main jet. The second is you should get a re-build kit for it, new diaphram, seals etc around $20 – $30. If you don’t know much about mechanical stuff just take it in and have it done so you know that it is done right!

Always run sea foam in your gas, just a cap full for a tank full. Also, I make it a habit to start my auger 3 to 4 times during the off season and run it for about 5 minutes. I haven’t had one ounce of trouble in 6 years!!

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Something the Tecumseh engines are known for is sheering the flywheel key or hat. Had it happen on my Model 30 a couple years back. Ever pull the cord, have the engine backfire hard and then pull again and it starts? Well when it backfires it puts a bunch of strain on the flywheel key/hat. After enough of those the flywheel spins and the timing is off, way off! You will have spark yet and the plug gets wet but she ain’t gonna run. Take the cover off, block the flywheel with a wood wedge to keep it from spinning and loosen the retaining nut and washer. The washer is a bellville style and care must be taken to make sure it is put back on the same as it was removed. Andhow tap the flywheel and it will loosen and come off. Then take the hat (or key on older units) off and install a new one. These are under $3.00 each and simple to replace. I now keep a spare. When mine failed I simply bought a new auger, but felt I was still missing something from the Model 30. I’d looked it over close but one day had the idea that the timing could be off. Long story not so long, I sold the new auger and fixed my 30.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.