Boot Ratings?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just picked up a pair of boots with 600 grams of thinsulate and they are rated for -65f. If this is right what would a boot with 2000 grams of thinsulate be rated for and why would you need it?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

That doesn’t sound right. Who is the manufacture/make?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

They say that 400 grams is comparable to the insulation of a good wool sock is what I thought I heard once???

I know the Columbia boots that I have, have 400 grams (as most winter boots do) and I think they said those were rated for -25 below???? 25 below maybe if you are out working in them???? Not sure how the temperature rating comes in????

Sorry not much help.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I usually dont get cold feet, but I know 1300 seems to be a minimum for me for ice fishing..

big_g
    Isle, MN

Mike, if you find -65’f, get inside man !!! It would be too big of a struggle to even keep the holes open !!!

big g

david_scott
    Twin Cities

My rocky hunting boots are 800 grams of thinsulate and I am fine sitting still to about freezing, and a little below(maybe 20 degrees). If its on ice, my feet will eventually get cold.

400 grams of thinsulate would be fine if your grouse hunting.. something if your always on the move if its cold out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like I got the right boots. Was looking for something that was water proof and mid range temp wise.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I tend to get cold feet no matter what boot. I think the socks and the fit of whatever boot you buy is the key IMO.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Mike, if you find -65’f, get inside man !!! It would be too big of a struggle to even keep the holes open !!!

Once it gets cold out, I break out the bunny boots. They are all rubber on the outside and replace my knee high rubber boots once my feet start getting cold bow hunting. Once the bunny boots come out, they are out for the rest of the ice season and my feet do not get cold anymore

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Used to have a pair of bunny boats also. Threw them on one time with out socks on and went socializing around a few fish houses. My feet started sweating in them and when I went to take them off they where suctioned on to my feet. What a mess. Last time I did that. Those are warm boots.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I hope this helps answer your question. In one of my former jobs, while working for The Sportsman’s Guide catalog and internet company, I was the Assistant Buyer to the Footwear Buyer. It was a very interesting job and I learned a ton. One of the things I learned, specifically about 3M Thinsulate, and Dupont Thermolite, is that you can only put so much in a boot, and then it stops doing any good because it has to be compressed so much to get it sewn in that it can’t offer any more warmth. Just like clothing, loose layers are always warmer because of the air space between the layers. Too much Thinsulate means no air space.
    The “Magic Number”???? 800 Grams.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I have the Rocky Snowstalkers, that are supposedly rated for -100. Not so. I can stay warm sitting in a tree stand for about 4 hours at 20 above, then my feet will start to get cold. I believe they have 1000g of thinsulate, but my other boots have 600g and are very nearly as warm.

I have used the snow stalkers hunting coyotes all day in well below zero, no problems as long as you move from time to time!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

All boot ratings are done at a “moderate to high activity level”. You can easily drop the rating 75% or more if you are sitting in a tree stand. At that point, heated boot blankets are the key!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Good point. I think those ratings are for the birds. Correct fit and sock layering is the key.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.