merc gas tank leak

• bluewing
    North Iowa

I have a ’97 merc 25 hp on a lund rebel boat. The problem is that when trailering the boat the plastic gas can leaks gas around the top fill cap. I’ve looked at the seal inside the cap and it appears in good shape, but the wet gas on the outside of the tank make for a mess on the floor of the boat. Anybody out there had this same problem and found an answer? Thank you in advance for any help.

bj451
    saint michael minn

I’ve had this same problem I never could solve it the tank went in the fire pit I switched to a metal tank.

Benji

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Does it have a vent on top? If so, open vent so it can release air.

bluewing
    North Iowa

thank you for the reply. however the tank does not to my knowledge have a air vent valve like the OMC tanks. The tank has two opening on the top of the tank. One is for the gauge and coupler for the hose and the other is a plain cap to allow for the tank to be filled. I believe the plain cap design has a vent built into the cap but no way to close the vent.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I had the same problem a few boats ago All I did was unscrew the cap and it was good to go after that

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Mine has a vent on the cap that screws in or out to open and close. If you have a vent that stays open make sure you son’t overfill the tank. That will cause gas to come out of the vent.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.