gasoline odor in Alumacraft

• Brian Lyons

Do any of you navigator or similar boat owners notice a strong gas smell in the battery/oil res. access compartment? This hatch also contains the fuel lines and tank so some odor is probably normal, however I have a strong smell after leaving the comparment open for a month. I have not found any gas leaks yet. Does this sound normal.

ARCH
    southern minnesota

I have a Magnum and I also have noticed a gas odor. I smell gas in the battery area and also in the storage compt. next to the console. I haven’t noticed any leaks though. I think that there must be a vent underneath or something.

assman1
    S E Wi.

I have a 175 mag with a console and have noticed gas odor in forward battery compartment as well. I like to open compartment door then put handle in closed position and set cover back down and this leaves a little gap to help cut the smell down. It always makes me a little worried to have strong gas odors where there could be a spark from a battery.

ARCH
    southern minnesota

Maybe this is something that should be brought to Alumacraft’s attention, it can’t be just our boats. I dont know if it’s a safety issue or not but I hate to have something happen to someone out on the water, I have seen a boat burn on the lake. Not Cool

neverhome
    Anoka county

I have a Lund Explorer and have asked many people about this same smell in my boat. Everyone seems to have the same smell in the same area. The dealer says it’s normal but what do they know

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Put double hose clamps on all gas fittings, then silicon over the gas hose ends of all gas fittings, plus silicon over the complete gas sender on the tank. This fixed the gas smell problem on my Lund.

Dave Gulczinski

DanH

One thing to keep in mind is that gas fumes are heavier than air. If fuel vapors get into the cockpit of your boat, they will collect in the lowest accessible area. I am only mentioning it to help your troubleshooting. It could be any number of things.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I have a Lund Explorer and have asked many people about this same smell in my boat. Everyone seems to have the same smell in the same area. The dealer says it’s normal but what do they know

There was a recall on the fuel sender gasket on the Lund Explorer about 3 years ago. You should have got a letter if your boat was in need of work but you might check with Lund directly.

KevinTurner
    MO & MN

Many cross link poly (plastic) tanks will allow tiny amounts of fuel vapors to weep through. Most of the time, there will be no visible leakage. For sure check all fittings, clamps, & the sending unit.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I have a friend that had an Alumncraft and when they put the screws in for the decking they screwed about 20 of them into his fuel tank. Kept noticing the smell at first, left it out in the rain one night the next day he had about 5 extra gallons of water in the tank. I don’t remember what they did to remedy the situation with the holes? Good luck!

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Stop filling the boat in the dark so you get the right hole

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

B,

I’ve been holding off for a while now, but since someone else started in on you. Just get a lighter and start looking around the tank for a leak. Best thing you could do for an alumacraft.

jeff6771

I had a 1650 explorer. i had the tank presure cheched and found a small crack in it replaced the tank and the gas smell was gone.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.