Outboard Motor Performance

• Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

No ice down here so i am looking for ways to improve my outboards performance. I have a Mercury 200 EFI on a Ranger 488VS bass boat. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to improve fuel efficiency and/or performance without breaking the bank or the motor? I do wish to run at medium throttle and even idle some times.

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

So what’s up with this? Does everyone use oars or sail cloth to get around? Anyone have any experiences to share about Boyesen Reeds or Brutaco intakes?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The latest edition of Bass and Walleye Boats magazine has an article that shows 5-6 improvements to boost output on high HP Mercs. The easiest one to do was drilling several one inch holes in the motor cover to improve air flow. Pretty good article!

http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/site_page_898/article_page_54.html

Get the Mag for excellent pics to go with the above article.

One thing to keep in mind. If your motor is only a few years old, you may not legally alter the motor to improve HP. Has to do with EPA rules, government regs and so on…..

I plan on installing Boyseen Reeds this spring. I’ll update you on any improvements.

Jon J.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.