Trailer Brakes in Freezing Weather

• lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

For you guys with brakes on your trailers, I need some advice. I have a Shorelandr with surge brakes, single axle. After launching, I always let the trailer drain before moving forward on the ramp, but when I return later in the day, frequently one or both wheels are frozen solid and won’t turn!! The brake pads are frozen to the drum and it is nasty to break loose. My inclination at this point is to either disco the brakes for the Winter season (bad thing with icey roads), set the gap extra wide and suffer brakes that aren’t real effective, or dump more $$ into the unit and put on disc brakes. What are your thoughts?

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

put the disc brakes on, my grandpa had the same problem with his boat and then he put on disc brakes and the problem has only happened to him once, and that could be because he doesn’t let the water drain out.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’m solving the problem………which is to leave the boat and trailer (with brakes) in my shed and get a 2nd boat for Winter use w/o brakes….my wife said to go for it, and I did, sounded like a good deal to me. I wasted little time from the word go until signed on the dotted line. Merry Christmas you guys!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.