Trolling Motor Steering System

• Tom S
    Woodbury MN

I seen boats on the river rigged up to where a guy can steer the trolling motor from the console. How is this done? I have looked on the web and found nothing. Does anyone know the name of this product?

Thanks for you help

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Do you mean the electric or a gas kicker?

I have seen electrics which bolt on to the main outboard above the ventilation plate such that they can be steered from the main console. They look pretty darned pricey for what you really get, though.

Also, there are coupling bars that go from the main outboard to a gas kicker to tie them together such that the console steers both of them. Cabelas has them if I remember right.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

A friend of mine has a trolling motor that has a remote directional pad. When he goes fishing he can put it wherever he wants. I think the trolling motor is made by MinnKota.

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Gianni,

Sorry about that I mean the electric motor. I was on the St Croix and saw the guy unplug his foot control on the bow and plug in a cable from the console and steer the electric motor from there.

Just thought that might be something to look at instead of buying a kicker gas motor.

Don Hanson

If you are talking about a gas motor they are called connector rods. Gianni is right, Cabelas has them. Just click on the marine section and go to steering systems.
    Don

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Try looking @ the Minnkota line of trolling motors. They have a micro touch foot pedal they advertise as being able to use anywhere in the boat. http://www.minnkotamotors.com I do know that there is a cordless foot pedal out there. I have used it but the name of the co. escapes me right now. If I get in touch w/ that friend of mine I’ll let you know what kind of motor he has. His is cordless

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

on the same line as that….
    I HAVE a foot control with a 16′ cord and it works pretty good.. BUT.. its been sticking lately.. its a minkota….. anyone have an idea what I need to do to stop it from sticking? is it the control or the motor? Im not really sure…

FallingRock1
    Eastman Wi

There is also a system called the ZR-1 By I think its Panther Marine this system is for gas kicker motors and it also can be spendy.Got to see one in use when I fished the Pro-Am at the MWC in Prairie du Chene

Len

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nate and I both have the Panther Steering Assist Kit on our boats for steering the gas kicker motor from anywhere in the boat. We both also have Minnkota front trolling motors with 16ft. cords so we can also steer from anwhere in the boat. Both systems work great. Any questions please don’t hesitate to ask anytime. One of the neat things about FTR/FTL is everyone is willing to help everyone. Bill

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Thanks for all the help! I swear the guy was using his steering wheel to run the electric trolling motor but it must have been an optical illusion.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

This is just a guess but if the electric trolling motor is running in the straight position and you turn the steering wheel I’m sure it will turn the boat. Just like steering with a rudder. I’ve done it this way and sometimes you can run the kicker gas motor on slow for trolling or casting and use the electric for steering or if while trolling you can steer by just turning the steering wheel on the main motor.
    Just take some practice and I usually use them for trolling on Pepin and not up by the dam. Too much boat traffic. Steve

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

and this is just a guess…. but if it was a white grumman you saw performing this way it was me… I put my foot control on the console right behind the steering wheel and I press on it with my fingers….. I suppose it would give the illusion of me using my steering wheel…. but this tactic works great for me and I do it all the time… Im sitting in the drivers seat running my bow mount trolling motor….. with the foot control siting right behind the steering wheel……

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

A couple boats ago Nate ran a tiller and always trolled with 3-ways with the front trolling motor while sitting on the back seat by the tiller motor using the foot control with the 16ft. long cable to the foot controll pedel. I have also seen people up front in the boat and put the pedal on top of the shelf where the trolling motor is connected to and work it with their fingers. Many ways to do it, just depends on what works best for you. Bill

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

River Eyes

I think the mystery is solved. The boat I saw was white but I don’t remember the make. Will have to try your technique of running the foot control with my fingers. My size 15 foot is a little large for the pad anyway.

Glad you guys straightened me out on this subject. I was making myself crazy trying to find information on the web.

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

Hey Tom, my size 13 feet caused a lot of problems too, I have a 16ft. tiller and like some of the post above, I find I have better control using my fingers instead of my foot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.