generator (battery charger)

• ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

I was thingking of getting a generator for charging the batts. in my fishhouse on mille lacs just looking for some input. I was thinking of a honda 1000 but they aren’t cheap or do the less pricy one work just as good.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

The little Honda is a sweet unit and very quiet. The draw from a battery charger is not much. I’d think you could find a small unit at Northern Tool fairly cheap.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Being a generator owner…one thing to consider is the noise a generator makes…Honda is very quiet…Coleman and other brands really make a racket…which will not only bother you…but everyone around you!

The bad thing about buying a generator is that once you put oil in it, you can seldom return it. So read the data and compare carefully before shelling out the bucks….

Would a wind powered generator work better for you?

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

wind power would be great but they come out to about the same price and I figured a generator is more practical(year round uses) camping and what have not

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

My brother-in-law has one of those EU 1000 Honda’s! He can set it on one side of his truck and have it running with out hearing it on the other…..it’s amazing! It’s worth the extra$$$$

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Although I’ve never seen…or heard one in use…all the reports I’ve heard about Honda’s echo Bobbers…they are a few more $$. But for camping ect…quiet is worth a lot…to me anyway.

Good luck…let us know what you do and how you like it!

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

been doing some on-line shopping and I think I am going to go with the Honda 1000 and the best part is that they have a voltage reg. with a 8 amp 12volt battery charger built in and it comes with the leads JACK POT

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Yepper they are quiet. My cousin has one and brought it along to Canada on a moose hunt to power his CPAP. That generator was about 200 db less than his snoring. It was a blessing. Not hearing it from one side of the truck to the other is an understatement.

Mike S

I purchased the Honda 2000 and it is quiet. It will run about 12-14 hours on a gallon of gas. I power my trailer with it with out any problem. I tryed it with a camper A/C also and it worked for that. Well worth the extra money.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I know a guy who just welded a frame and mounted a lawnmower engine and a 60A automotive alternator on it for charging his batteries. You’d want an alternator with a built in rectifier/regulator – Chevy does this, don’t know if Ford does that now or not (they used to not, but I haven’t worked on cars in 10 years or better).

Not as versatile, but dirt cheap compared to a full-up generator.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.