Sta-bil vs. Sea Foam

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

This topic gets a lot of debate on other sites. Do you guys have a preference for a fuel stabilizer? I had been using Sta-bil but switched to Sea Foam this fall.

Also, some guys put Sea Foam in every fill up, not just at winterizing time. What do you think of that?

Thanks,
    Dave

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I use Sea Foam all year and StaBil for winter storage. I have several friends the use Sea Foam for winter storage without any problems.

-J.

jhalfen

When I took delivery of my new rig this year, the tech told me to use a stabilizer all year round, in every tank. He said that the new 4 strokes (mine is a Johnson 115 4s) run best with really clean gas. So, $2 worth of seafoam goes in every tank. Makes sense to me to make a small investment on a bi-weekly basis to help protect a $20K fishing platform.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Although I don’t remember the specifics, my brother in law used Stabile over winter…he had some problems with it.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about Sea Foam. I use it for storeage and a couple times through out the year. One can in the tank of the cars about this time of year and again when it gets real cold.
    I try to watch for a good price and buy a case at a time.

scottsteil
    Central MN

My marine mechanic recommends Sea Foam, so that is what I use. I use it in all my engines now.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I use Sea-foam every other tank full.

Lenny Jamison

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

Sea Foam here, I put it in everything from the bike to the boat and car. Put some in my generator about 2 years ago and the thing started on the first pull yesterday. Great Stuff

krisko
    Durand, WI

I use Sea Foam in my boat on every other fill up. I never leave fuel in anything when I store them, Except my motorcycle and that gets Stabil.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Thanks for the replys…

Sea Foam it is!

Dave

KirtH
    Lakeville

Sea Foam here.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Sea Foam I put a few shots in my cocktail as well.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

For the flavor or the effect?

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Seafoam here too. I use it in everything. Run it in the boat every tank. Has worked fine for me as a stabilizer for the last 15 yrs. Put a shot in anything I need to store for any period of down time i.e…. chainsaws, weedwacker, pumps, cars, boats, wheelers, ice augers………..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

For years I used stabil in my sleds and boat with no problems. Last year while doing a job at a fire station one of the fireman in charge of equipment told me sea foam was the way to go. Some of their specialized equipment sits for a long time and he stated they had problems with stabil. Seafoam never gave them problems so that’s all they use. This was several years of trial and error. I have switched to Sea foam.

jldii

The only time I use either is when I winterize my boat, and then I have always used stabil. I have never felt a need to add anything to the gas tank during the fishing season. Of course, I use my boat 5-7 days a week, and gas it up several times a week, from the middle of April till mid October also. I often run my tank down to near totally empty. I doubt much moisture ever builds up in the tank because I’m probably burning it for with all my use.

That all being said, I need to add that I run a Mercury EFI, which maybe is not as tempermental as many of the DI’s, 4 strokes, Opti’s, E-Tecs, etc…. I guess I’ll find out first hand after this coming season when I get into my next rig, since the EFI will not be available any more.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.