motorguide xi5 first thoughts.

• wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Had a chance to take my new boat out yesterday. Spent some time trolling and breaking in the 9.9 pro kicker. I used the 80lb xi5 with pinpoint GPS to steer the boat the same way I used my ipilot in the past.

Here’s what I found in this limited test.

Pros
    Plenty of power
    Battery life seemed good, 5hours of use and the battery indicator still showed above 75%.
    The head turns much faster than my ipilot
    Was quiet

Cons
    I’m not sure if the auto pilot feature struggled because of the wind and decent chop or if this is related to the suggested GPS update, but it seemed like this feature had some room for improvement. Occasionally it would correct a little harder than I’d like.

There were a few times where I felt the remote wasn’t able to transit to the head as well as it should. This happened on my ipilot sometimes too.

Didn’t try spot lock yet even though it was the main reason I bought this motor. Will report back once I do, and once I get the update. I think this will end up being a sweet motor, but need some more time to learn it.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The anchor mode on my Xi5 is much tighter than the spot lock on my Terrova was, I’m sure you will like it. If you use the wireless foot pedal, it’s nice to have the anchor mode button on there too so you can fight a fish and step on the anchor button easily without fumbling for the remote. I agree that the steering on the Xi5 is quick and quiet and the motor itself is very tight and quiet. I also like the way the stow/deploy pedal works and how the unit locks up and down, it’s mechanically sound.

For me, there are only two real negatives to the xi5. First, there is no speed indication on the remote so it can be hard to keep track of your speed level. Second, there isn’t an autopilot selector on the foot pedal, just on the remote. My $.02

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I would really appreciate an end of the season update from both of you on this topic if you would. I am contemplating the install of this motor over the next winter – with an entire update on all my Lowrance electronics as well. Was going to do it this Spring, but decided to wait one season to see how everyone liked/disliked the new xi5 (and to have Motorguide correct things if needed). Please keep posting updates on your season if you will. End user facts are what really counts!
    Thanks.
    Splitshot

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Will do

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I do like some of the new features of the xi5 vs. my terrova, but won’t touch one until they update their remote. Also don’t like their foot control.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.