Mariner 40hp Magnum Questions

• Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

Any comments on the reliability of this older style two stroke motor? I think this motor was made for many years. Any know if 2 or 4 carbs?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I got so many hours out of mine. I had it on a 18 Lund Alaskan and was very pleased. Hit top speed in the upper 30’s and it was reasonable on gas consumption. The vast majority of hours came from trolling on Lake MI.
    I caught a garbage bag in the water around the lower unit and didn’t know. It over heated enough to fail the gasket for the water jacket cover above the top cylinder. Not knowing it was leaking, it filled the cowling up with water to the point is sucked water in the bottom carb. Couldn’t defy physics and it blew a rod.
    The only negative thing i can think of was the plugs fouling from so much trolling. I don’t know if it was the gap-less plugs Vs. conventional or not. But is seemed like I had plugs getting gooped up all the time from hours and hours of trolling. I think mine was from late/mid 80’s (86′-88′)

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

They were a great motor. Unfortunatly You may have trouble getting parts. Mariner is now only sold in european markets. Finding any former dealers with parts on the shelves may be tough.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m pretty sure that all the Mercury parts were interchangeable with mariner on that engine. Black vs gray…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.