Another terrova issue.

• muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I got a used 101 before opener and have used it 10-12 times without issue. Last week it started having problems. It runs for 30 seconds or so at full speed, then slows down and runs very rough before eventually shutting off. It won’t restart right away, but will continue to turn left/right. Batteries are good with full charge. Any ideas?

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

Remove your prop and check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Already did, removed a small amount of line but problem continues.

BobJohansen
    Southern MN

If any of the line worked its way into the lower unit it would have damaged the seals on the way by. Very possible you have water in the lower unit and that is what is causing the motor to run rough and then eventually shut down.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

My bet is that you have self re-steeing breakers in the battery wires. They are small boxes about 1.5″that will be in the battery wires. My guess is you have one or more of them and when they trip it is cutting out 12 or 24v of your needed 36v power which would make the motor very weak and “jumpy”.

If this is what you have you will need to change them out to the proper breaker. Minnkota should have the manual for the 101 online I would suspect.

Pictured is one type of breaker you may find. There are a few brands but they will look similar. This may or may not be the issue, based on your description this is where I would start if I were looking into your boat.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I threw a magnet in mine a couple years back and it would run and then stop for no reason. move it around a bit and it would go again. That happened for about a half day and then it quit all together. Would still turn left right but the prop wouldn’t spin.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m thinking like Mark with your breaker. OR do you have one, and did it have one on the sellers boat??

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I’ll check to see if there’s a breaker, didn’t see one whe I was digging around in it yesterday though.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If you don’t find one, it is best to install one of the proper amp size.

I also have a 101, a 60 amp as I remember is where you should look to install.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Have any of you seen the seal go out which lets water in? I’m going to tear into it next week and would appreciate any info you have. How much water inside can cause problems? I may be ordering a rebuilt kit and armature.

reddog

Any time you have a line wrapped up, there is potential for seal damage. You do not (and I wouldnt) start off by tearing the whole thing apart. Set it up so its on a slight grade to the bolt head side, and loosen the bolts that tie the two ends together.. You separate the ends about 1/4 to 3/8 inch without everything coming off the armature. This should give you enough space to see if water comes out of the housing. If it doesnt, there isnt really any reason to pull it completely apart, unless you are really, really handy putting things back together. If you chose that route, mark the location of your ends with a white or wax marker, and keep track of the 3 or 4 washers that come out of the assembly..

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

How much water inside can cause problems?

Any water inside will cause problems, it’s an electric motor!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.