• Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Just wondering…what do some of you use for Life Vest

Self Inflating ?

Manual Inflating ?

Are there good Self Inflating ones ?

I just have a regular life vest with a zipper in front

I have never been regular about wearing it…but should

Grew up on a boat water skiing and Always wore one when IN the water. Never jump in with out one on…

But don’t always remember to get one on when fishing.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I switched over to the self inflating ones 2 years ago. IMO there is no life vest that I don’t find annoying to wear, but the ones I got (Cabelas Tournament 3500) are more comfortable than the non-inflatables I’ve had and I’d rather be uncomfortable than dead (though I admit I do not wear them all the time). Plus when stored they take up far less space.

If you keep your eye out they seem to run on sale every now and again, got mine for a little more than half what they are asking for right now

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

Wife and I have the self inflating PFDs from Cabbalas.
    We don’t get overheated in summer while my friend who has the full vest is sweating like a pig. Sometimes I’ll be driving away from the ramp and not realize it’s still on.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Self inflatin for me
    Comfertable compared to others
    east to store in compartments.
    One word of advise. Store inside in the winter. I have had them inflate in compartment over winter. Don’t know if that’s a coomon problem but since I bought my 620 new and now store all winter in heated business haven’t had a problem since.
    Just my $.02

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

My wife purchased a Cabela’s 3500 for me at Christmas so I would wear one while I was out on the boat with my 4 year old daughter. I make her wear a life jacket all the time, but never considered putting one on myself. I wore it the first time fishing on Pool 4 this spring, and even over all the heavy clothes I had on, it didn’t interfere with my napping….fishing…. and I actually forgot top take it off at least once before attempting to take off my jacket. I think inflatable is the way to go.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Just a little off subject, but how do you repack the inflatables? Just stuff them back in and recharge them or is it a critical deal like a parachute?

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Quote:

Just a little off subject, but how do you repack the inflatables? Just stuff them back in and recharge them or is it a critical deal like a parachute?

Mine was easy
    I just had to re pack into side and around collar, then I bought a re arming kit installed that, and it was back to like new. About $20.00 if I remeber correctly.

BBKK
    IA

Lots of vids on youtube.. search “rearm life jacket”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not sure about the others, but with Foat-Tech’s there’s a tube on the front. This can be used to self inflate by blowing air in or deflating.

Once the vest is deflated a new Co2 cartridge and “pill” need to be installed. Assuming the indicator shows green, you’re good to go.

Vest only…

With outer shell…

The shell comes in a few colors…

No bulk around the collar to irritate your neck…

Works great in the rain (no accidental discharges)

The only time folks are allowed to take them off is for a quick photo.

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Thanks Brian,
    About what do those jacket systems cost ?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a cabelas branded one and love it. I can wear it 16-20 hours a day while on water and almost not even realize I have it on. Early season, I wear a lot of hoodies and will wear it between layers.
    BK had contacted me about the manufacture may recommend to not have it beneath any other layers clothes…so caution and verify what the manufacture says. I couldn’t find anything on mine, so I had to try it out. Mine works very well at expanding layers of hoodies and fully expanding.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Anyone had any problem with the accidental discharge? My Lund likes to get wet in the rain and wind…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

They are designed with a pressure sensor not to inflate unless under water rain won’t set it off.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I’ve been looking at getting a cabelas brand inflating lately. My question for those knowledgable on the subject: is there a weight rating I should be looking for? For instance, what is the difference between their 2500 models and 3500 models. Just wondering because I take up more space than the average Joe if you know what I mean.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I purchased a auto inflate one from gander mountain and it was not that nice to wear. It was shorter than the cabelas and mustang inflatable PDFs.
    It was to bulky for me and once it auto deployed in a compartment in the boat I could not get it to rearm so it is currently sitting in my basement.

For now I use a mustang survival floater coat which is the best thing I have purchased so far for safety while fishing. It was stiff at first but after after a few trips fishing it is good to go. I even wear it early ice fishing

A tip for you is to make sure you can buy a rearm kit for the inflatable you will need one some time. The gander mountain one I have is a pain to get a kit for since they do not seem to stock it at the store.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

They are designed with a pressure sensor not to inflate unless under water rain won’t set it off.

I think only the more expensive hydrostatic ones sense pressure from being submerged in water. The less expensive types- cabelas, gander, bass pro shops, only sense wetness and deploy. I have no idea how to figure out how much wetness it will take to make it inflate. Any one have experience fishing in heavy rain with these? How concerned should I be when I am out in the rain? I have read that high humidity and temps in the garage can make some go off!

I did fish last fall with Joel Ball-weg in the rain and he was wearing a Bass Pro self inflating and know it didn’t inflate and it rained fairly hard a few times. But what’s the limit?

handy

Both my wife and I wear inflatables every time out. No problem in heavy rain and we wear them outside our rain gear. Only problem was when left in “dry storage”. Couple of inches in compartment and mine inflated.
    Extra perk: had granddaughters out on the croix when wis dnr checked us out. All in PFDs, everybody in our boat got a coupon from dairy queen.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Price question about Float Tech.

Vest only $150.ish
    Vest and outer shell $299.ish

Both can be found for less with a google search.

Inflatables need to be taken care of.
    I self inflate mine 3 times per year to make sure it holds air. The average person should check them at least at the beginning of the year and anytime it’s suspect they may have been damaged.

I would recommend never placing an inflatable of any manufacture in your boats storage compartment.

Mine are hung up on a cloths hanger each night we are done with them. Once in a while they’ll sit in the truck over night.

The “pill” that dissolves in water and allows the Co2 to inflate the vest has a life of 3-4 years. I’ve had one accidental discharge over 6 years. I changed out the pill and two vest and didn’t have one for the third vest. Unfortunately I didn’t mark which one needed replacing and it self inflated on the FW over the July 4th weekend.
    The date that’s on the bobbin is the manufacture date. Expiration dates are normally on the packaging.

Humidity will dissolve or partially dissolve the bobbin/pill. Keep this in mind when thinking of the life of the pill.

Pretty funny…from my point of view.

The rearm kits for the Float Tech are available at Fleet Farm and of course on line.

With an inflatable…

*They must be worn to be legal.

*Person needs to be over 16 years.

*The should never be worn under any other clothing unless it’s the outer shell. (at least with Float Tech)

*They should be inspected at least once per year (by the owner).

*Check with your Airlines if you’re planning on flying with any inflatable PFD. (they get nervous around Cylinders)

*As a precaution, when storing your inflatable for the off season, remove the CO2 canister. That way if the bobbin goes bad, you don’t waste the canister.

*When manually inflating for testing, let it sit overnight. It should maintain its inflated state. If there seems to be a significant loss of pressure the device needs servicing.

*They are not recommended for non-swimmers and not approved for use on personal watercraft and in water-skiing and similar water sports.

With todays advancements in inflatables, it’s really a shame that so many people are lost to drowning…yet.

Speaking of that… ensure your inflatable is Coast Guard approved as a TYPE V with type III performance.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Wow! Your a wealth of information BK! Never thought about expiration dates or inflation testing. Not even the paper work that came with my vest mentions any of that! I did notice last night that my vest labeling mentions high humidity potentially causing inflation and not to wear it under anything.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My costumers and just as important…I may have to rely on them someday. If I drown, who will bring home the Spam?

I know “my” inflatables inside and out.

Although Float-Tech has been very good to me and I feel they are the most comfortable PFD on the market, I personally don’t care what PFD other buy…just wear it.

…and I’m happy to help!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.