Best rod guides

• Lynn
    Minnesota, Crow Wing county

I’m a big braided line guy and an wondering if anyone has found a certain brand of rod guides that don’t wear out? After a couple of years I start to notice some small grooves that are do to line abrasion.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

As a rod builder I have used Recoil guides,but mostly used the Fugi Alconite guides and the Fugi K-Series guides.

I believe those 3 listed are the BEST guides out there, the K series guides being the best !

You can buy some lower dollar titanium insert guides but the are a bit heavy for my liking.

JMHO Jeff

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

Another vote for fuji guides never seem to have a problem and they take abuse. when buying a store made rod i always try to look for rods made with fuji guides and then i know that the rod has a quality set of guides on it.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I used to buy guides from a supplier in Indiana that were very reasonably priced. A long time rod builder friend demonstrated their durability by taking a small 3 square file to the rings and he couldn’t even scratch them.

Unfortunately this supplier went to fly fishing only -)

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I used to buy guides from a supplier in Indiana that were very reasonably priced. A long time rod builder friend demonstrated their durability by taking a small 3 square file to the rings and he couldn’t even scratch them.

Unfortunately this supplier went to fly fishing only -)

I know those guides well, we used to take a rat tail file and file on them too.. most all TICH guides today hold up to braided lines GREAT,but I went to building light as possible and sensitive rods so I havent used those guides in years.

red89
    Hudson

Silicon carbide, or SiC is supposed to be one of the best. Alconite is another smooth material that is much less expensive than SiC. I try to buy rods that have atleast Alconite guides on them even if I don’t intend to use braid on it. Some of the cheaper aluminum oxide guides are the ones that wear the fastest.

Check out this link with some good info:
    Fishing Rod Guides

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.