Kicker Motor Trim Position Question

• gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Just purchased new kicker (05 Merc. 9.9 4 stroke)for my 03 Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk. I’ve mounted it directly to the transom (no power trim/tilt). My question is, when trailering or traveling with the big motor, what is the correct trim position for the kicker? I’ve been told that if trimed all the way up you can break the motor support if in rough waters, or on bad roads. Is there a transom saver made for kicker motors? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Moose

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Moose,

I have seen guys use regular transom savers for their kicker motors as well. One suggestion that I might add to this is if you plan to run alot of big water, go with a Panther Model 35E Electric lift. These lifts come with a good strong Cordura strap. THe Cordura strap should be snug around you lower unit area (just above the cavitation fins) and other end of the strap goes on the electric lift. When the lift is in the up position, the strap should be good and tight to prevent trailer or wave shock. THe electric motor on the mount will not let the motor down and the strap will prevent it from going upwards. Therefore the strap will secure the motor in place during the roughest of conditions. The key thing is to keep that strap tight. This will save your kicker motor from breaking apart when traveling in rough water.

I can take a picture of the setup that I use on my Mercury 9.9 4 stroke Big Foot kicker motor if you like?
    Hope this helps.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

In my opinion, it’s just a matter of time before you destroy the kicker mounting bracket on that Merc. And good luck getting it fixed under warranty! If you read the small print, that motor is not intended to be used as a “Kicker”. Therefore, you “Miss-used” it and the warranty is void.

You need to do one of 4 things:

1. Take it back and get a full refund. (Then buy a Yamaha T-8 )
    2. Take it back and get the Tilt and Trim installed for an additional $800
    3. Add a Panther Lift system >> cost is about $495 http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/panther/lifts.html
    4. Add a Kicker Support like “Bracket Pro” from Cabelas > cost is about $150.

Good Luck.

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Steve, Thanks for the reply. On a side note I’m good freinds with Ed and Chad whom you guided on Mill-lacs the first part of July. Man what a day of trophy fishing! I still hear about almost every day. I’ll consider the Panther lift (sounds spendy), but the bank is almost empty. Have you heard of a “Bracket Pro” product, its been suggested on another forum. Thanks for the help.
    Moose,

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Gee Jon, don’t hold back. Way to make a guy feel good about a new toy.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Gee Jon, don’t hold back. Way to make a guy feel good about a new toy.

Sorry, that was a little harsh…but true. Been through the broken motor bracket deal twice and was not a happy camper. I still can’t believe Merc has not made any significant improvements on that motor.

Fact: if he does nothing, that bracket will break! Just a matter of time.

-J.

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Its funny you should say they should do something about that motor because they have. The o5 9.9 4 strokes are about 30lbs lighter, have shift on the handle, and also have changed the trim/tilt hardware. Having said that I beleive what your saying and plan on going with the Phanter model 35 or the Bracket Pro, all depending on how much i decide I can afford. May just bite the bullet and buy the Phanter. One problem will be time, I’m leaving for Lac Seul next Wednesday (last thing I’d need is problems up there!). Thanks for the help

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

One more thing.Does anyone know of a dealer in the Woodbury area that carries the Panther line (not Phanter)who also may provide installation. There website has all Wisc. dealers?
    Thanks again, Moose

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

A quick google search came up with Marinetech Products in St Paul
    651-486-2010

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

If budget is tight go with a bracket pro. Around $99 at Cabelas. It also installed in 20 minutes.It saved me snapping off kicker tilt bracket more than once. I just got back from Lac Suel Last Thursday. We fish the middle section and Vaughn lake this year with the cold water Lac Suel was slow we ended up fishing Vaughn and did really well shallow on the weedlines and on gravel flats/points 3 to 5 ft deep. The hot bait was glow in the dark 4 inch power minnow by berkly. Salted minnows on jigs also did well. The bottom bouncer spinner bite was marginal. Good luck.

Mwal

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Moose,

In my honest opinion, as long as when you travel out on the water that motor does not move while in transit in rough water then you have properly have that motor restrained. I am not sure that the bracket pro can deliver that. The Panther 35E lift is the best thing I have seen on the market today. These kicker motors are my bread and butter this time of year and I rely on that motor being in tip-top running condition when I arrive to my next spot in tournament conditions. More than 75% of the pro’s on about every circuit that are running mercs or OMC’s run with a electric lift of some kind and they are mostly Panthers.

Good luck Moose!
    Have fun with that great motor!

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

All,
    Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I usally try to do things the right way the first time and this may be an instance to pratice that. My plan is to look into a power trim/tilt (Panther)and then pull out the plastic! Thanks for the Lac Seul update, I’ve never been there before, going with a crew thats been there many times. I’ll follow them for awhile, I’m sure. Thanks again, Moose

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

As a conclusion to the trail I started last week. I found out that Mercury is near completion of a built in power trim/tilt for my new motor. I found out the panther would pull my motor back about 6 inches, the factory unit will not. I decided to wait till this comes out, then have it installed on my motor. In the mean time I rigged up a simple set-up to keep the mount from breaking while motoring around. That consist’s of a 6 inch 2X4 wrapped in a rubber wrap material that I put in between the motor and the bracket (keeps motor from going down). Then a boat strap wrapped around the motor to the boat (keeps motor from going up. Just an update for all who offered advice, etc.(now off to Lac Seul in the morning)
    Thanks again, Moose

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.