Need a line-counter reel/which one?

• flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I looking at some Line counter reels. Not expected for high use, but needed. Thinking of one of the following and trolling for IDO team opinions:
    Cabela’s Depthmaster lll DM20B (60$) or
    Cabela’s Depthmaster ll DM20A (40$) or
    Okuma Stratamaster SM20D (60$) or
    Penn 209 LC …. (70$)

Take it away boys

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

In that size range, and price range, i think the diawa accudepth 17 is probably the best option. I have several and they’ve been great

bclii
    MN/AZ

I second the Daiwa accu depth 17’s. At $55 each, they fit your budget too!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

What is your intended use for the reels?

17’s and 20 will work for bouncers and a bit of flat line trolling but not LC as they dont hold the quantity. I will add that trolling 17/20’s with flat lines really suck to crank in as the crank throw and gear ratios are tough when reeling in long lengths.

Cabelas are the same a Okuma Magda they have just printed cabelas on them.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

You have a PM

duke.harbaugh

I would NOT recommend the cabelas depth masters… I have two for sale if you want em

Zach H

Quote:

I would NOT recommend the cabelas depth masters… I have two for sale if you want em

X2! My cousin has 2 of these and I absolutely hate it when he pulls these out of the rod locker. If you don’t watch the line counter, you will be reeling back in due to the fact that the counter always gets stuck on zero. It seems to stick quite often. Pretty annoying while trying to get your lines back in the water when you’re on top of fish.

matt

I have three of the cheaper cabelas ones,they work fine for me and I do alot of trolling.Plus usually they are on sale and you can get the rod for basically free and Ive had no trouble with the rods at all either.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Whichever one you choose here are a few things to keep in mind…
    “Calibration”
    Pay attention to not only pound test but also line diameter.
    Keep the spool filled to proper amount as much as possible.

I have one of those big yellow tape measures with the handle. I pulled out 100ft and then pulled out my line off the linecounter reel and the reel said 96ft.

Not a huge deal but if I get a snag and peel off a couple hundred feet or throw in a couple other variables and all of a sudden you can be off by ten feet. Not good when presision is usually the main purpose for using them.
    My two cents on line counters

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

In that size range, and price range, i think the diawa accudepth 17 is probably the best option. I have several and they’ve been great

If you plan to only use them once in a while, you can probably get by with accudepths. If you plan to use them a lot, you will be replacing parts starting in a couple years and will be replacing them continuously. In my opinion, both the accudepths and okuma magda/cabella’s depthmaster are poor quality reels and not worth the cost of the cardboard box they come in.

My linecounters get used more than any of my other reels and take far more abuse so they need to be solid.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

If you plan to only use them once in a while, you can probably get by with accudepths. If you plan to use them a lot, you will be replacing parts starting in a couple years and will be replacing them continuously. In my opinion, both the accudepths and okuma magda/cabella’s depthmaster are poor quality reels and not worth the cost of the cardboard box they come in.

My linecounters get used more than any of my other reels and take far more abuse so they need to be solid.

X2 – What he said!

matt

Ive had my cabelas reels for five years with no trouble,then again I only fish 3 days a week in the summer and Im not a guide so I dont have countless clients who have their paws on them all the time.Besides whats the difference if you do replace a couple,you can buy two for less cost then one of the more exspensive ones.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Trumar > PM sent

Everyone, thanks very much. Y’all speak loud and clear Advise taken

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.