mounting LX-7 to the boat

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I plan to mount my LX-7 to the bow of my boat with the high speed transducer mounted to my trolling motor. My question is can I buy a gimbal bracket for it and mount it to a ram mount. I can’t find just the gimbal bracket for the LX-7 on the marcum website. Also for anyone else thats done this what do you do for power? I’m pretty sure theres a fuse between the battery and the unit so do you just run wireing from your battery and connect to the original power cord or is there a diferant power cord for this operation i should use and run it through the fuse box on my boat? I appretiate the help from you guys IDO always has the answers. Thanks!

Bryan Myers

I was just looking around on the Rapala site and it looks like if you get the LX series universal open water mount it will come with a power cord. Then I would either wire in an inline fuse between the battery and the unit or you can run it right from the fuse panel to the unit if you have a open connection on the fuse block.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I see it does say includes power cord. I’ll have to call and ask what all mounting hardware is. I’m guessing just for transducer but maybe it has something for the screen too. Just thinking it would be nice to not have to take the mount off the ice shuttle and put it on a ram mount.

Marcum12

I called Marcum CS a few weeks back about a problem I was having with my 7. I asked him about mounting it on my boat. He said if you get the open water transducer kit it should come with a gimbal bracket.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

I just removed the gimbal bracket from the ice kit and screwed it to the RAM base. The ducer will include power cord. Add an inline fuse for added protection. Never remove the plexiglass shield or you will have water in your unit. After having the 7 on my boat for one summer I have mixed feelings. The lack of being completely waterproof is a large problem for a unit designed to be used on the water.

rip n flutter
    north saskatchewan

i kinda find that hard to believe that marcum would put out fishing electronics that we not waterproof. that is crazy.you must of had a defective unit.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Quote:

i kinda find that hard to believe that marcum would put out fishing electronics that we not waterproof. that is crazy.you must of had a defective unit.

And the reason you think I’d make this up? I don’t have every day of my life off so when I can fish I usually do. Water happens back trolling into waves, sitting in rain, etc. I was a tad upset when I found it filling with water. Sent it in and the hand written note indicated the shield should remain on. Strikes me as an EXTREMELY weak design but it is what it is. I love the LX-7 for hard water fishing but prefer my HDS & Birds any way for open water. It was a fun time trying but draining water out of a $600 unit was less that thrilling. I regret not scanning that hand written note so I could share but then again would it change anything?

rip n flutter
    north saskatchewan

well this could be a real game changer if marcum wrote you back saying to leave the shield on when exposed to water to eliminate the possible chance of water getting into the unit. that kind of info would really change a persons mind on purchasing a marcum for their boat or even ice fishing if it can’t be subject to H20.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.