Minn Kota Talon question

• bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Did a deep search here for topics related to Talon but didn’t see anything to answer my question so anyway…..you guys that use them how do you think the Talon performs in Miss River current? Not talking about high water but normal flow stuff. I would likely get the 8′ model and it would be anchoring an 18.5′ Ranger bass boat. Above a wing dam or point.
    BTW, Minn Kota is really promoting the new 10′ and 12′ models saying the 6′ and 8′ do not have soft bottom mode. Translated ???? ..please spend more money.
    Thanks for your help.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I’ve had 8′ Talon’s my 19′ Ranger for 3 years now and have held on the main channel with no issues. When the spike drops and makes contact with bottom, you aren’t moving. If it is rough water, the rough water mode with the continuous driving of the spike helps keep the spike in contact with the bottom.

This past year I was testing the 10′ model which has the soft bottom mode. The biggest thing I noticed here is that when in backwater sloughs where you are dropping the spike into muck, the spike won’t get down into the mud as deep.

Any other questions, let me know.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’m also running a talon on a 19+ Ranger. On the river multiple days a week. I fish in slop and muck as much as possible…haven’t had any issues in the “muck”. Recommend getting the break away bracket.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.