Legend tournament guide size

• iowaeye

Does anybody know the size of Fuji new concept tangle free guides used on the new legend tournaments? No idea how this happened but I had a guide just pop out of the epoxy. No breakage or cracks it just slipped out of the finish. I don’t know where the guide is or I would replace it myself. I e-mailed st. croix explaining to them the issue and I only need one guide ( the 9th one down from the tip including the tip) and I got this lame automated message about sending the rod in for repair is more expensive than having the guide replaced locally etc etc. I was pretty clear that I only needed one single guide and I can do it myself. I think the guides themselves are around 3$ or less each? I know they are “micro” but not quite micro so I think maybe size 5.5 but leaning towards 6? This guide is literally in the middle of the blank so it’s a bit awkward with how the line touches the blank with pressure.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Go through the whole message and then find an option where you can speak to Rod repair I think and ask them if they can give you that guide brand/size.

Be EXTREMELY careful having this done locally, for some reason the thread holding the guide on didnt hold it in place ,also sometime when removing their rod/guide coating it will take off the finish.

Be cautious it may VOID any future warranty also

JMHO Jeff

iowaeye

Oh I can just slip the the new guide into the epoxy. i’ve had this happen one other time with a different legend tournament but I had the guide still on my line. i just put a microscopic dab of super glue on the vertical piece below the guide and slide it back in and the guide hasn’t moved or fell off in a couple years. it fit in very snug as well so i’m assuming it was just poor finishing of the epoxy or as you mentioned the threads were loose but they don’t seem or look to be. I could be wrong though. The epoxy over the thread or around the guide isn’t cracked which was odd. This seems to be the same issue and returning the rod is more of a hassle and expense as I’m on the water a few times a week and have a few tournaments approaching.

I don’t know of any rod builders in my area and don’t want to hand this rod off to someone at a local bait shop that could ruin the blank. It’s right in the middle where the parabolic moderate taper starts going into the backbone and any issues in that part of the rod on the blank would could lead to breakage in the worst spot.

BBKK
    IA

My advice would be to take the rod to a knowledgeable rod repair guy and have him find you the right size guide. Then buy the guide and do it yourself. I have done the same thing with tips. I wouldn’t trust anyone else with my rod either.

I doubt st. croix will tell you what the guide is, but it wouldnt hurt to call and ask. Emails will likely only get you nowhere.

iowaeye

st. croix has arguably the some of best customer service in the business. I’m sure they will give me the guide size if I were to ask for it (which I will depending on the answer to the latest e-mail I sent). If there were any rod builders in my area that were known, I’d take it to them. the closest one I know of is chuck ungs but he’s 2 hours away.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I doubt st. croix will tell you what the guide is, but it wouldnt hurt to call and ask. Emails will likely only get you nowhere.

I will beg to differ on this one Kevin

Several times I have called them about guide size and what guide they used on a certain rod.

iowaeye

Quote:

Here you go.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/content/guide_size_and_spacing_chart

I’ve never noticed this chart, thanks.

the problem though is the legend tournaments use the guide size that is in between micro and standard and from the tip down, the 10 guides are all the same size and the first two I believe are the next size up. they use 11 guides + tip rather than the traditional 8 or 9.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.