2008 Yamaha 150 four stroke

• theduck

I am currently looking to buy a boat. The boat I have found has a 2008 Yamaha 150 fuel injected four stroke on it. The motor has 92 hours on it. When does this motor need any regular scheduled maintenance? How many hours will an average motor get through out a season of family use? I will use it for fishing and such but it will also be used for family fun trips as well. How quiet are these engines? I know the Mercury Verado’s are extremely quiet and can hardly be heard while idling.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

I have an 09 150 on a Skeeter 1880. I fish the river some, go for rides with friends, and fish a week up north. I will put between 50 and 75 hours a year on the motor. I don’t know how quiet the Verado is but the 150 is quiet. I left the motor run while putting the trolling motor down near the dam and after the about 15 minutes my buddy in the back of the boat asked me if I was going to shut the motor off, I couldn’t hear it in the front of the boat with the noise from the dam. I change oil at the end of the season and haven’t had any problems with the motor. You can have it put on a computer and find out anything you want to know about the motor.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

This is a GREAT motor. It is a very strong 150HP. Having said this, any motor matched incorrectly to a boat, will always be an expensive regret. What is the boat you are looking at? When you say family fun trips, are you talking about tubing and skiing or just running to an island and hanging out?

Comparing the Verado at idle, I think you will be very surprised as to how quiet the Yami is. I have tried to start mine a few times while it has been running.

FDR

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The Yamaha and Verado are both very quiet, the Yamaha may be even quieter. I had a 115 Yamaha and oil changes needed to be done every 100 hours and I would think the 150 is similar. I had a tiller and average 250 hours per year, and it still ran great. I would say with 92 hours that motor is barely broke in.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I am currently looking to buy a boat. The boat I have found has a 2008 Yamaha 150 fuel injected four stroke on it. The motor has 92 hours on it. When does this motor need any regular scheduled maintenance? How many hours will an average motor get through out a season of family use? I will use it for fishing and such but it will also be used for family fun trips as well. How quiet are these engines? I know the Mercury Verado’s are extremely quiet and can hardly be heard while idling.

They are a very nice outboard, you will be very happy. FWIW I hated my 2009 150 Verado and loved my 2011 Yamaha F150.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Rock solid motor. Personally wouldn’t buy a boat without a Yamaha or Suzuki. yearly oil change, change lower unit lube yearly and she’ll run for years.

nothing against Verado. I am sure they are good. I just think this motor is about as good as it gets.

theduck

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard nothing bad about these motors. My personal experience with this type of boat is limited. The dealer is very reputable and I believe what he is telling me. the boat is an 18 foot fish and ski type of boat. I do not want to give out too many details because I believe the boat is priced to sell and I am probably going to purchase this boat soon. Family fun will be pulling a tube, skis and just cruising lakes and enjoying the ride.

Again thanks for the opinions.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have a 115 merc four stroke and have heard many yamahas. The Yamaha’s are much quieter than my merc. I wanted one on my boat, but the price was right so I settled for a merc. I put about 75 hours a year on my motor so that motor was not used much. Good luck

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Time to do a Timing belt other than that a great motor

igotone

Quote:

Time to do a Timing belt other than that a great motor

92 hours
    U think it needs a timing belt

what the manual say on that?

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

PM sent

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My last F150 had 296 hours on it in 5 summers of running. Took it to Yamaha dealer for new water pump impellor. I do this for preventive maintanence every 5 years. Asked dealer about changing timing belt and was told not necessary till at least 500 hours or 10 years. I loved my last F150 so this boat I got another one. It is quiet,dependable, and starts every time no matter how long it sits. Ichange the oil & filter, and lower unit gear oil every fall before storing for winter and come spring bang she is good to go.

theduck

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate the good information. It sounds as if I might have found a good buy. I was fishing for general information and got way more and even a few PM’s. I think I will have a new boat here soon. From what I can gather both here and other sources, this is a sound engine with a reliable history.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.