Walleye Rod

• jtetzloff

Looking to upgrade to a new fishing rod for walleye. Any suggestions? Do mainly jig fishing.

reddog

Dean Marshall recommended a St. croix 6-8 mxf rod earlier this spring for me. I now own 3 of them! I pitch jigs almost 100 % of the time and this rod really works well for that.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Really depends on your budget.
    St. Croix makes some wonderful jig rods and in various price ranges.
    If Money is no issue, then look at the G-Loomis NRX. The 802 is a jig fishermans dream.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

There are many great rods out there. One rod I really like for lighter jigs is the Limit Creek Smoothie. It is 6’9″ if I remember correctly.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

The 6’3″ M-XF St Croix Tournament Legend Tournament is my favorite jigging rod. Between my dad and I we have 4 of them, 1 Legend Elite, 1 Legend Extreme and 1 Avid. For lighter jigs or fishing weeds we also have a few 6’6″ ML-F St Croixs. All of the St Croix lines are great you just gotta decide how much you wanna spend

ejd

I own a 6’6″ St. Croix Legend Tournament ML-F and have had no problems with it at all. I’m satisfied with the sensitivity of the rod and am happy with the purchase.

nord

Is that 6 ft 8 rod with the xf tip just to be used with mono?

tucrs
    NW Metro

6’6″ Med -Med light

What type of walleye fishing are you planning on doing? Pitching jigs a extra-fast is a very nice rod to have.
    Rigging rods are different softer tips and usually longer.

What types of lines are you planning on running and what budget range are you looking at?

Don’t forget a good quality reel too.

My go to rod is a 6’8″ Med Extra Fast TUCR with high quality guides, with a Sahara or Stradic reel.

reddog

Quote:

Is that 6 ft 8 rod with the xf tip just to be used with mono?

I am using fire line tracer braid with it.

artifishal

St. Croix makes some quality rods for any type of angler, but if you have some bills laying around I heard that NRX is as good as it gets.

6’9″-7’0″ ML-XF make for excellent jig pitching rods, but my go to rod for 1/16-1/8 oz jigs is my Legend Tournament Walleye series Finesse rod: 7’0″ Light Power with an Extra Fast Action. I like the ability to be able to cast those lighter jigs the extra distance with the lighter rod because more often when I’m pitching that light of a jig, I’m often dealing with finicky fish and that extra distance helps get the bait away from the boat so I don’t spook as many fish.

I think the perfect all around jigging rod would be a 6’9″-7’0″ ML-MED with an XF action

4d-rock

Geez, after all this praise over St. Croix and other type of rods…I’m thinking my Canadian Tire special Quantum Reax just isn’t gonna cut it anymore.

Burr

You’ve got St Croix suggestions, no need to rehash that. Another that I like is the Fenwich Elite Tech EWS66ML-F – 6’6″

If you want heavier, they make the same in a Medium too.

BBKK
    IA

My favorite jigging rod (1/16-1/4) is a st croix premier 6’6 ML fast. Plenty of backbone and a nice soft tip with enough to handle a 1/4 jig. I like to use the lighter rod since however hesitant I am to say it.. most of my fish are on the smaller side. We catch a lot of eaters, 12-15″ saugers, 15-17″ walleye. Eyes over 20 are very few and far between down here unless you troll the windams which I’m not a fan of. So I like to use a lighter rod so I can feel the light ticks when a fish sucks it in. That rod also doubles as a light lindy rig rod in the summer.

I tried fenwicks (elite and HMG) and didnt care for them. Maybe the higher up rods are better, but I’m not paying to find out when I can get a darn nice rod in the $100 range from st. croix.

navigator175

I like my Elk River custom rods 6’8″ and 6’10” m and ll x fast for pitchin and a 6’3″ for vertical jiggin . ERX series around 220.00

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Looking to upgrade to a new fishing rod for walleye. Any suggestions? Do mainly jig fishing.

What weights do you jig with in your area ?

For me that would play a huge part in what rod would fit your needs as a jigging rod.

In my area (pool 4) I use a St,Croix 6’10” MLXF, I use 1/16 to 3/16 mainly, every once in awhile bumping up to 1/4 or 5/16 oz.

Also..for me it doesn’t matter weather I am pitching,dragging or vertical jigging I use the same rods.

JMHO Jeff

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Dean Marshall recommended a St. croix 6-8 mxf rod earlier this spring for me. I now own 3 of them! I pitch jigs almost 100 % of the time and this rod really works well for that.

Ya, Dean told me the same. But what determines whether you go with MXF or MLXF? I’ve had a MLXF for blades for a few years (though I still haven’t mastered the blade). This year I got a MXF for pitching light plastics for bass around cover but am using it to toss ringworms on pool 4 so far. I don’t have enough experience with it to determine which action I like the best.

John S.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

You’ve got a lot of good suggestions here. I prefer St. Croix for the sensitivity and especially for their service. I broke one in half two years ago (my fault) and had a replacement at my door within a few days for $30. That was a $350 rod. The boys at St. Croix have my support. I just ordered three more from Dean Marshall at Angler’s Guide. Dean has some god tips on rod selection at this link.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Jig fishing means so many different things to different people and where they fish….it would be so easy if it meant the same thing to everyone…..

If I can be of any help, don’t be afraid to give a shout!

[email protected]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.