Pflueger President 6920-Open water?

• riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Ive got a Size 20 President laying on the shelf, will I regret putting it on my verticle jigging walleye rod? Plan on loading it up with 10/4 Fireline and pairing it with an Avid 63MLXF? Ive always used size 25 Presidents for most walleye fishing applications, I guess drag issues are my main concern?

Thanks in advance!

hunter1723

As long as you can stand it who cares what anyone else has to tell you? I am guessing most people on here have never done it so try it and see for yourself.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Thanks….thats exactly the answer I was looking for.

BBKK
    IA

I have tried it. Not for me. Spool was too small, took too little line up per turn of the reel, and it threw the balance of my 6’6 ML croix way off. Size 30 pfluegers are IMO the best for vertical jigging… which is about a size 20 anything else.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There is no difference in the drag between the 20 and 25. Each has a max drag of 6#. I would be much more concerned about getting anything in the oiled felt washers that Pflugers use in their drag systems. Very smooth when the felt is clean, but the oil will enhance holding dirt over time. Just one of the reasons why I sold all of mine.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Looks like i get to buy a new reel! Not the worst thing ever. Thanks for responses guys, you pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The new high end Pflueger models have ceramic drags, including the Purist @ $79.95

I am trying the new Quantum Energy PTi 20 and so far, very good. It has the been the flagship reel for them over the years and the 2013s have been upgraded;
    iMag™ titanium bail with magnetic trip
    Polymer-stainless hybrid PT bearings
    LMS™ line management system
    Extra-hard PT gears
    Lightweight, machined aluminum crank handle
    MAGLOK™ magnetic Continuous Anti-Reverse™
    Aluminum Long Stroke™ spool design
    Smooth front-adjustable ceramic drag system
    I’ve seen them on sale at Cabelas for $89

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

The new high end Pflueger models have ceramic drags, including the Purist @ $79.95

Tom, believe it or not, you made an error. The Purist drag is “Smoothed sealed carbon fiber drag system” – -not the ceramic disks.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I got a cardinal 400i and that thing is tiny compared to a 20 pres. And that fits perfect on my 66 avid med. Couldn’t afford a nice smoke or stradic reel that would allow me the bigger size but little weight. Never had an issue with drags on any reels personally and nor have I met many people who have, otherwise the ice fishing world I think would have serious issues. Use what you like I say.

Careful with the plfuegers though their sizes are not the same across board. My Pres. 30 holds 146/6 and my purist 30 holds 115/6

Burr

I’ve been using the 20 size Presidents on verticle jigging and rigging rods for years. No drag issues for me. After spending big dollars on a light, sensitive jigging rod, it makes no sense to me to weigh it down with a heavy reel. Line capacity limit the usage to just verticle jigging, if you are going to cast it will be time to grab another combo.

Same for rigging rod. These presentations take very limited line capacity, and benefit from the feel of a light combo, imo.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

See I went with the size 30 on my rigging rod. Its got a much larger capacity BC usually the depths are deeper, and if I need to long line it 100′ off back of boat or more you really need the extra line. But then again the rig rod is 7′ ml lower quality so a little heavier and the added weight of the reel helped balance it perfectly.

Burr

Pfluger President capacity is 100 “yards” of 4lb diameter mono, 80 yards of 6 lb mono. 240-300 feet of line with these diameters.

240-300 feet would seem like plenty of capacity even if long line rigging. I guess if a heavier mono is selected, the capacity would decrease an possibly become concerning.

I only mention it because it took me a long time to really consider the capacity. I’ve never run out of line walleye fishing with the small reels in jigging, or rigging presentations.

Now – that said – I also use a couple Cetus reels, and if I cast that reel, I can cast to the end of the spool. And, even with a 1000 size reel, if fishing in an area where you can get the occasional Salmon, Brown Trout hookup, you can spool the reel there too.

For casting, I decided to try one of the large spool reels last year. I really like them. Takes a while to get used to the retrieval rate. They take up line fast, and it takes discipline to slow down reeling pace.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.