1990 25 hp johnson starter wont engage

• tsparro

went fishing yesterday and when i went to load the boat on the trailor the starter wouldnt engage , the starter would make a spinning noise but would engage to flywheel, any ideas.never have had a bit of problems with it.

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

Possible battery might be drained to low… i have a 25 evinrude that does that when it got low….also it would turn over slower…..

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

Sounds like it might be dry try some anti sieze i had the same problem on my 2000 70 hp Johnson! hope this helps! Put the anti sieze on the shaft that come out of the top starter that engages with your flywheel!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Also could be that the ‘Bendix’ is bad. The starter should come apart and you should be able to buy just that part.

As mentioned above, be darn sure your battery is full charged..

Let us know what you find out….good luck…

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

Make sure all connections are clean….battery cables,solenoid,starter

tsparro

i’ll check it out and report back to you guys!Thanks.

maurice

a squirt of wd 40 on the starter shaft above the bendix will cure the problem–does for me everytime–good luck

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

a squirt of wd 40 on the starter shaft above the bendix will cure the problem–does for me everytime–good luck

WD40 will dry out and get sticky…us antiseize or even 3&1 oil.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

There is a bolt on the bendix gear also…..that it what it was on my son-in-laws 40….just another thing to check…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.