Does anyone use mono on trolling setups these days

• johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I’m going through putting new line on my reels and am thinking of going to all braid/superlines on all my linecounter reels. Every time I’m trolling I just seem to grab the rods with braid. The lines are so much tougher and thiner. I try to keep my trolling combos universal so I can go from long lining cranks to pulling bouncers. I always have a fluro leader on also after the braid also.

Does anyone see an advantage to sticking with all mono or even all fluro.??

joemama
    North St Paul

i do have mono backing on all my trolling reels.then braid..then florocarbon depending on what i’m fishing for..if your already reaching for braided set ups you already know the answer to this question..it’s the right move

joemama
    North St Paul

i’d also suggest that you write down which reel is spooled with what..braided line is expensive and does not need to be replaced every year.. peel of 50 ft and cut

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Once and a great while I wonder about running some mono. It is usually when the fish are shot hitting and not sucking the lures in very well. Wonder if the stretch in the mono would allow them to suck the lures in better.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

I prefer trolling with hardline, BUT, I’ve always got 2 spooled up with 10# XT. Comes in play when fish are up shallow and boat shy…..allows you to get further behind the boat without digging / snagging bottom. I know guys that use even heavier mono for just that reason. You lose quite a bit of feel, but it’s much more forgiving once you’re hooked up.

BBKK
    IA

Braid here.

One time, and one time only I found mono to be the only way to successfully catch walleye trolling. I was long lining shallow shad raps over a weedbed. There was only 4 foot of water above the weeds and thats where the fish were. Any deeper than 4′ and you got hung up. Braid dug right in, fluoro dug right in. Had to use 17′ mono and one of my bass rods, but it worked great.

If you have never trolled walleye above a big weed bed you have to try it, way easier than casting and they hit SOOOOO hard. Only downside is you get way too many of those green carp.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Personally, I think one of the great uses for Fireline is to troll with it. Works well, lures dive just a bit deeper, and you have more confidence in not losing fish. When a wiper smokes a crankbait, you want that confidence, trust me.

No stretch in Fireline though, so to combat that, I use some 10′ rods that have quite a bit of flex in them. As mentioned above when there are times when they are short hitting and just not comitting, putting the rod in hand for a while may be the answer. Tying on a 10 or 20 foot leader of mono at times can help too. Always have some ready in the boat.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run mono on my board rods, which I also use for bouncers and three ways. I like the extra stretch. I do have some rods with hard line that I use for trolling when longlining in snaggy areas so I don’t lose as many cranks.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

Quote:

I prefer trolling with hardline, BUT, I’ve always got 2 spooled up with 10# XT. Comes in play when fish are up shallow and boat shy…..allows you to get further behind the boat without digging / snagging bottom. I know guys that use even heavier mono for just that reason. You lose quite a bit of feel, but it’s much more forgiving once you’re hooked up.

This is my biggest reason for trolling mono as well. I always have 4 mono trolling setups ready to go for shallow bites. The only other time I use mono for trolling would be for open water spinners on clean water lakes.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I use mono for my downriggers and leadcore, but always use braid for dispys.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Braid for dipsys, muskys and jigging heavier jigs in very deep water, mono for everything else.

You said your “go to” was braid, kinda answers your question there I’d think.

Al

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.