Rod holder ideas – trolling

• MuskyTrap

I’ve got a Lund Explorer with the angled sport track system and am in the winter process of figuring on the best way to set this up for summer trolling.

I think I could get away using the factory Lund Sport track brackets with a poly rod holder for the lead core, night trolling, etc. However I question their strength or durability when it comes to muskies or pulling boards.

Anyone use the Cisco replacements for the Lund Brackets?
    http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/shop/sport-trac-lund-mount-(42-)-5240

70$ Seemed like a bit to me for those and as old man winter is here I thought about trying to make my own. Any of you guys ever made a metal sport track bracket in your shop?

I have down east rod holders that ive used for the HD applications in the past, but it seems to me as a rod holder is only as good as its mount, when it comes to losing rods that is.

Any thoughts on the down easts vs a set of folbes?

To further the situation, I question just getting rails or a track system vs using the track system. They seem like a better option as far as strength and functionality, but also a more expensive one. Have any of you ever been in this situation and discovered if the price is worth the move or if itd be a safer bet to save the money?

Gonna be a long winter regardless. . .

MT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I can’t help you with your track mounting, but I’m sold on the Folbe’s. As a guide, I show folks how to use them once and they love them!

Down side to them? Sometimes you’ll have to flip them open before putting the rod in the holder. Other then that they’ve been holding my rods from head shaking channel cats for over 4 years now.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I’m sold on Folbe as well – once you understand how they work – they are awesome, I have 6 mounted in my boat.

Couple guys in my boat however think its a strong man competition and pull as hard as humanly possible to get their rod out, not necessary. LOL

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have used Scotty holders with 107mm dipsey divers and salmon. Didnt like it, but we did it. Held up.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Musky guys are all alike. If your drag is set properly you won’t need steel bases and holders. that said I love it when a good hit turns my boat 90 degrees.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I have Folbe holders with pedestal mounts on a Traxtech track system. This is a great setup with a ton of adjustability and has proven very durable. I can also use the track for downriggers, etc.

MuskyTrap

I think I’m sold on the folbes.

Just need to decide between the sport track system or a set of tracks/rails now.

Anyone use the sport track with rod holders? Installed vertically or horizontally?

I see in that video those folbes are mounted on a set of aluminum down rigger brackets, it’s too bad they don’t move. Looked slick

Chode2235

I’ve got 4 folbes in my boat too. Love ’em.

I do a lot of trolling for walleye and love the Folbe’s. They have a lot of options for setup. I’ve got two holders setup with the adjustable extensions that can push the rods out an extra foot to each side of the boat if desired. Also, the composite cleat accessory works great for adding additional points to secure or fix bumpers to the boat. Quality products IMO.

The only issue I’ve encountered is that when new, they can get a little sticky on the release. Once broken in they open and release super easy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.