Best digital fish scale??

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Wondering if this Berkley digital fish scale is the one to get for mutli purpose fish weighing in the 3 to 15 lbs for Bass and Walleyes??

I was at Cabelas yesterday and they had this one and another “economy model” that looked the same but was $20 cheaper.

Looking to spend a little more $$ on a scale this time around as I haven’t had the best of luck with some of the cheaper digital scales.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I have been using the new Rapala Touch Screen Tournament model and has worked great. What I really like about it is you can grab the fish to weigh them instead of using a hook. Best electronic scale I have found.

Chris Beeksma

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I saw this Rapala version at Cabelas yesterday.

Is it pretty easy to clamp onto the fishes mouth??

Also, it looks like it is lighted which may be nice in low light times.

They have the tournament model up to 15 lbs and the non tournament model up to 50 lbs. I don’t fish tournaments so maybe the I don’t need the tournament model.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I had the 39$ hook model…the clip is definitely the way to go! Better for you and the fish. For Walleye and Bass the 15 will do ya…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

KWP, I’m going to toss my .02 cents worth in here for what it’s worth.

When we accidentally catch 6 to 10 pound walleye’s we used the 50 pound hook style Rapala scale.

There is a benefit to going to the 50 pound scale for the guy that accidentally catches something that he wasn’t fishing for. (It’s a standing joke that when a walleye guy catches a catfish with out a large enough scale, it automatically becomes a 50 pounder )

As far as the hook or clamps style goes, it’ really doesn’t matter. I groan when I see any fish held up with a Berkley scale or the Rapala model.

I prefer placing the fish in a net then subtracting out the net weight. Some will say the net takes off the slime coat, but most people net the larger fish they will want to weigh anyway. Bring the fish in the boat, have your scale handy, take a quick weight and any slime removal will be minimal.

For on the ice (without a net) I like to use the Team Catfish Floating Fish Grips. They have a wider contact point then the scales and have a hole in the handle of the grip to connect a scale. Plus using the grips, your hand won’t get wet.

/.02

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Some good points BK…Probably best pratice to weigh the net + fish and then substact the net afterwards; better for the fish.

I also like your point about everything being a 50 lb’er if your scale doesn’t reach that limit

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There is one draw back to that…and that’s forgetting to subtract the net.

When a person is excited about catching a 9 pound walleye, it will be a 12 pounder until the dust settles and the 3 pound net is subtracted.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

As long as we are discussing scales I also have a question (hopefully this isn’t looked at as hijacking, if it is let me know and I’ll start another thread). How many have ever had their scale calibrated and how far off was it? I’m looking for a scale also but would prefer one I don’t need to have calibrated before I use it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mike, I have two Rapala 50 pound digitals.

Each year in the spring I’ve weighed ten pound dumb bells in the net up to 50 pounds. On the lower end (20 and under) it’s not noticeable. Forty and 50 pounds is off by a couple ounces.

I haven’t tried any other brands.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

unfortunatley 10lb. dumb bells vary quite a bit.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Right. The only way to tell for sure is to get a set of check weights or weigh something that has been weighed on a certified scale already.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Mine weigh the same every year. LOL!

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

I prefer placing the fish in a net then subtracting out the net weight. Some will say the net takes off the slime coat, but most people net the larger fish they will want to weigh anyway. Bring the fish in the boat, have your scale handy, take a quick weight and any slime removal will be minimal.

/.02

X2.

I use the Rapala brand, it works well for me.

Keep Catchin’
    Turk

catmando
    wis

Used a berkley 50 pound digital works great until you get a fish that bottoms it out. Anyway i was at walmart one day ,saw a luggage scale goes to 88 pounds 20 bucks.I just keep it in zip lock bag in the tackcle box… just a thought. DK.

Jacob83

Why not you use a hanging scale to find out your measurement. I am using a fish hanging scale which provide me accurate results for measurement and also these scale are cheap and available on Ebay and Amazon.

Jacob83

I am using Prime 5000lb / 1lb its a wireless floor scale and have enough features that i need. Why not you try that to get acculturate result with accuracy.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I have been using the simple Cabela’s digital scale for several years now and have confidence that it works rather well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ll save you guys from clicking on Jakob83’s Link…

Prime 5000lb / 1lb Wireless Floor Scale

Item No.
    PS-5000FWL
    Price:
    $699.00

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.