Snow blower-2 stroke vs 4 stroke question

• STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

My father in law is looking for a new snow blower. He wanted me to post here to get some real answers. He wants to get a single stage but is wondering the difference between the 2 and 4 cycle in terms of snow throwing speed, efficiency, etc. Thanks!

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I’d question the 1 stage vs. 2 stage first. Make sure that is what you want. The latest snow storm up here made a single stage almost useless in a lot of peoples minds.

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

Forget the single stage. They don’t throw wet, heavy snow.

I have a dual stage, 4 stroke after having a couple of single strokes previously. Was immediately impressed with the throw of the 2 stage. I have a 8 hp Yard Machine (MTD), which is not a particularly high quality brand, but it has really worked well.

The other feature you really want to have is the electric start. My wife will start up the blower and do our driveways as a result of having the electric start.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

I would buy the smallest 2 stage vs any single stage regardless of size. As far as the motor I think most 2 stage are 4 stroke. Have fun shopping.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

My littlte Toro pup worked great and we got 15 inches. I guess its all what brand and size you buy

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Good question Jeff. His drive way isn’t very big. He’s trying to find one that’s small, light, and easy to maneuver with the power like a 2 stroke single stage. Is there a 4 stroke 2 stage that can match that?

big_g
    Isle, MN

In my experience, a 2 stroke is a smaller human propelled sidewalk unit or small driveway, typically high RPM single stage blower for 6 inches of fluffy stuff and less. A 4 stroke, should be a 2 stage, self propelled, 26″+ wide, chained beast, able to handle everything we can get

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

First time using my new Toro 4 stroke single stage. 11″ of snow – didn’t even slow down. Incredible machine. Basically self propelled and cleans right to the concrete.

No gas mixing, starts 2 pulls, I’m totally impressed with it.

Pete.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I think your note is a bit confusing. Let’s see if we can straighten it out.

As mentioned above, I think your really interested in 1 stage vs 2 stage snow thrower.

Most all models have engines that are 4 stroke(?cycle), not 2 stroke(?cycle)

Definitely go with the 4 stroke engines.
    As mentioned also above, the 1 stage(single stage)throwers are not as good as the 2 stage Blowers in the wet heavy snow we just had.
    BUT, horse power and thereby keeping up the RPM’s will make a 1 stage (single stage) work better.

My vote would be a 2 stage with the biggest HP and self-propelled I could possibly afford.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Thanks for all the input. He’s (father in law) has been lurking for a while now. He’s reading this post right now. Maybe you guys can lean on him a little and encourage him to become a member… Then he can have access to all this knowledge.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

I think your note is a bit confusing. Let’s see if we can straighten it out.

As mentioned above, I think your really interested in 1 stage vs 2 stage snow thrower.

Most all models have engines that are 4 stroke(?cycle), not 2 stroke(?cycle)

Definitely go with the 4 stroke engines.
    As mentioned also above, the 1 stage(single stage)throwers are not as good as the 2 stage Blowers in the wet heavy snow we just had.
    BUT, horse power and thereby keeping up the RPM’s will make a 1 stage (single stage) work better.

My vote would be a 2 stage with the biggest HP and self-propelled I could possibly afford.

Thank you for clarifying and for your input. My proofreading skills are not what they should be.

run&gun
    MN

Don’t let a sales guy talk you into a single stage snow thrower buy a 2 stage snowblower. The 2 stages are all four strokes made by different manufacturers. Some of the top snowblower makes are Ariens,Toro,John Deere and others. Most start at $500 and go up. If you want a inexpensive model that is good quality go with the ariens snowtec 20. Brother in law has one, works real good for the price. http://www.sno-tek.net/products/

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Don’t let a sales guy talk you into a single stage snow thrower buy a 2 stage snowblower. The 2 stages are all four strokes made by different manufacturers.

Ditto…. I have never heard anyone say, “my damn 2 stage keeps plugging up” heard and had it happen plenty on the single stagers Like anything, you won’t need it, until you NEED it

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

When I bought my John Deere, the first thing the salemen asked was how long/wide my driveway was. To many people buy blowers that are way to big. They think bigger is better. You can save a lot of money by buying the size that will do a good job without going over board.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Definitely. You can get 2 stage throwers from 18″ wide to 4 feet wide. It doesn’t matter how big your area to blow is, if you have hard pack drifts, one machine will outperform the other hands down. At home, we solved that easily, we had the little Toro with the rubber bottom auger single stage to do the sidewalks and light snows (I called it a power shovel) Then we had the SEARS 32″ 2 stage chained up walk behind, to do the heavy snowfalls and hard pack drifts… then we had the Garden tractor with the 60″ 2 stage front mount blower, to clean off the ice rink on the lake There is a machine for every job

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t want to give up the garage space a 2 stage will take up ALL YEAR..that’s why I’m getting a 21″ wide Toro single stage snowblower that can easily fold up and fit under my garage entry steps for the summer..as far as the 16″ snowfall last week, i’d just tackle it in 2 shifts…

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

It all depends on the Task at hand.

My neighbor across the street (Inside of Curve & short driveway) has a 2-cycle/Single stage and worked great. His next door neighbor with a similar driveway has a big 4-cycle/2-stage (I think MTD) and he had trouble, really wasn’t enough snow for the big machine. (Both driveways are on East side of homes, thus Wind blew snow beyond and the plot didn’t leave them much.

I, on the other hand have a 7hp, Ariens 4-cycle/2-stage and it worked great on my 24′ x 40′ driveway on the outside of the curve, driveway on NorthWest side of my home, thus Snowplow leaves a ton of snow in my driveway and the wind seems to deposit greater amounts of the White (X$%M&!#XRS%#*) in my driveway.

Hope this helps.

Got mine (Ariens 724) at Prairie Lawn & Garden the day Sen. Wellstone died. Change oil once a year, grease the fittings and fill it with Gas (No Ethanol or Blue Planet CRAP), Only Non-Oxygenated Fuel, same as in my boat. I add Stabil to it and just go. Maybe 3-4 pulls for 1st start each year, but after that, one-pull starts. Well balanced weight of machine with Electric start so FW can handle it with Auger and Drive Clutch handles are Push-down vs. Pull-up; This too, makes it very easy for FW to use, a good option to consider for when you’re off on a Ice Trip.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

4 stroke = no mixing gas. Engine and crb. has less chance of gumming up. Single stage Snow thrower vurses 2 stage snow blower depends on what he can handle. They both move snow. The 2 stage will blow farther and handle heavier snow. If you take your time and if it’s self propelled a thrower will work. See all your options out there before you deside. NOT all brands and makes are the same. My father would not be able to handle a bigger 2 stage. Good luck. And yes he should stop the lurking and join. He may have some good input into other forums.

Bassn Dan

A small single stage is a good choice light snow if light weight and ease of use are the primary considerations, but only IF he has a neighbor etc. that can take care of heavier snow so he doesn’t end up shoveling if the single stage won’t clear the heavy stuff.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You might also consider where he wants to put the snow. I had a single stage and after the heavy snows a couple years ago, I found I had nowhere I could put it anymore. I have a toro two stage two stroke now and it is a beautiful machine.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

The light fluffy snow is easy for any snowblower single or dual stage.

I have a pretty standard 2 car wide 2 car long driveway and I have a 9.5 horse Troy Built. Yeah it is overkill for 3-4 inches but when we get more than that and the city plow piles it up at the end of my driveway I am able to rip right through it without any issues. I am typically helping my neighbors with 5 horse blowers because they just don’t have the power to chew up and spit out 15-20″ of plow piled up snow at the end of a driveway.

I have had mine for 5 years now and I am REALLY glad I erred on the big side when I see people out with their shovels knocking down the plowed up snow at the end of their driveway because their blower can’t handle it.

I wasn’t planning on going that big originally but I caught a place that wanted to move them about this time of year cuz there was no snow so I got it for $50 over their cost….then it snowed about 4 days later.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Maybe one of these, could be a little big, but they’ll handle any snow

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Now put the two together and veroom.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I think when it comes to snow blowers. Go big or go home.

I have been running a Toro 2 stage for the last number of years. This year I am running one of my FIL’s John Deere tractor/snowblower combo. SWEET!

I will be looking to upgrade this summer.

eartharto
    NULL

I’ve owned small Toro, Snapper and Simplicity 2cycle blowers and cleared all kinds of snow on various surfaces(not stone) quite successfully. Never had to give up because machine wouldn’t handle snow. As a replacement auger for Simplicity is now $300.00, I’m buying a 21″ Ariens 4 stroke, single stage(Power Pro SS21E 136). I can pick up any of these machines to load in my van. Can’t do that with a bigger machine.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.