Radios and Antennas

• md76c
    Eau Claire Wi

I’ve been looking at radios for my Lund Fisherman. I’m thinking about a Stand Horizon GX1700 W/intregal GPS. What would be a good antenna to go with it? Any other radio suggestions would also be appreciated.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m a big supporter of Standard Horizion for the way they handled my out of warranty broken mic…that broke a year earlier while it was in warranty.

I just wondering why you’re thinking of the VHF radio with the built in GPS?

Where will you be fishing mostly? That will make a difference on the antenna. River/Lake? Great Lakes or tiny ponds like Mille Lacs. LOL!

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Digital antenna is the best made. They are out of California. Digital is the company name, they cost about $100.00 for a 4 foot antenna but its worth every penny I get better reception with my 4 ft Digital than any 8 ft I have ever owned.

dewarsh2o
    Northfield, MN

Agreed that a good antenna is worth every penny. The best radio in the world is worthless if the signal doesn’t get transmitted.

md76c
    Eau Claire Wi

I am thinking of it mostly for places like Rainey or LOW. The GPS is just a safety thing. If you do have to send a distress call it will automatically send your co-ordinates.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

If you do have to send a distress call it will automatically send your co-ordinates.

All Marine band radio’s will do this now as long as there’s a gps made within the last 6 years in the boat.

I just noticed the radios coming out with built in Gps units. I guess redundancy is a good thing and $50.-$60 isn’t that much. It’s only 3 wires to connect a HDS unit to a marine radio, so the install isn’t that big of a deal.

I’ve been running a Standard Horizion unit with a Shakespeare 8 footer and use it a minimum of 3 x per week on the river. It’s done me well and the folks at the lock say they know who’s calling just by the clear, loud sound of my voice when I call in. They’ve commented on how “strong” my radio is.

Since I’ve broken my antenna mount twice, once from old age and the other from running under a tree branch along with trying hard to remember to lower it in area that have low branches…I will be looking at a shorter antenna someday.

The guys on Mille Lacs claim the same range with a 4′ as with an 8′. Since Marine Radios are “line of sight” if you’re concerned with being heard because of distance you’ll be better of with the 8 footers…or mount your 4′ 4 feet above your boat. LOL!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have an 8′ shakespeare antenna that is probably 8 years old on my boat and my radio is a Raymarine that is 10 years old and still works very well.
    If you are going to be fishing areas with islands where line of sight may not be optimal like it is on Mille Lacs or the main basin of LOTW you will probably want a taller antenna.

Not sure if you are familiar with Winni/Cutfoot but I have been at the Mosomo landing between Cutfoot and Little Cutfoot talking to people fishing the Highbanks area of Winni which is a long way with no line of sight.

cspierings
    Oregon, WI

I’m pretty happy with my 4′ Shakespeare “little giant”. I’m sure its not as good as an 8′ but its size is more manageable on my 18’5′ boat.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

I’m pretty happy with my 4′ Shakespeare “little giant”. I’m sure its not as good as an 8′ but its size is more manageable on my 18’5′ boat.

x2- I have never had any issue on Lake Michigan with Little giant-radio check from harbor responded to by multiple boats well off shore this weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.