recoil guides?

• iowaeye

Been doing some research onthese and get mixed reviews. I havent noticed anything (yet) but do any of you guys that use legemd extremes have noise probelms when using braid or braid digging in to the guides? Not using anything more than 10/2.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I can confirm the noise issue, at least to my ears. I cannot however confirm the line digging into the guides though.

iowaeye

How bad is it? Does it go away after awhile? I really dont want the braid to sound like suffix performance braid. Does it effect the feel of fighting a fish or make it harder to reel? Ive read certain braids make a lot of noise like older suffix and old pp. Would using 832 or super 8 slick (ive read fireline is good to reduce noise but i hate it) stop the noise?

BBKK
    IA

Recoil guides are built for braid.

None of my st. croix from the cheapest on up have ever had problems with braid. They use very good quality guides.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

How bad is it? Does it go away after awhile? I really dont want the braid to sound like suffix performance braid. Does it effect the feel of fighting a fish or make it harder to reel?

That depends on the braid, not the guide. I have heard the new power pro slick 8 is the best when it comes to sound. I do not think the regular power pro is too bad either. I tried stren super braid once, sounded like someone was sawing a violin, terrible sound that alerted everyone within 100 yards that I had a fish on.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I use 6# Sufix 832 on my XS63MXF and XS69MLXF and have had no sound issues…certainly no fish fighting issues. If you get bad twist in your line it can tangle in the top couple guides occasionally…
    The benefits far exceed the minor occasional problems… I would not go back to frame guides i.e. the Legend Elite style after fishing the Extremes.

iowaeye

I havent had a chance to use my 69 mlxf yet but have 10/2 super 8 on it and i dont hear any noise. Just reading forums made me 2nd guess it. Rod is pretty slick though.

Im guessing peoples noise issues are brands of braids they use or round vs not so round? Suffix performance sounds like a saw mill but 832 is a quiet walk in the park.

Wish i saw your dobyns for sale last week nefore i got a new flippping rod. Would have been all over that. Heck of a deal for such a nice and well taken care of rod.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Quote:

Recoil guides are built for braid.

Unfortunately this is not true. They are built for durability in the rod box. While they are extremely flexible, they do not hold up to heavy braid use. They may hold up to walleye use better than bass or musky use as there is less cast, retrieve, cast, retrieve. But in time, braid will groove them.

And, like you say, they are noisy with braid. As a builder, I seldom use them. I’ve had more complaints than compliments from the guys who I’ve built for, between the noise and the grooving. I’ve replaced guides for 3 guys due to grooving. Never had to do that for ceramic guides.

There’s my $.02.

coxaaa
    Northern IA

I’ve heard they are loud from people using regular braids…I use nanofil and fireline crystal with no noise issues i feel. I assume its the smooth coating they have on them. Hope the grooving issue isn’t bad as I cast cranks alot and only had the extreme a year now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.