Should I add a kicker motor or not?

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I bought my Alumacraft Dominator 175 Yamaha 150 rig last fall and I am thinking about adding a Yamaha 9.9 kicker so I can be more versatile with my speed while trolling.

I priced this out and I am uncertain if the added versatility is worth the money. I am looking for some input from some guys that are running a similar setup. Do other guys running a Yamaha 150 use a kicker for trolling or do you troll with the 150? Does the added weight of the kicker have adverse effects on the rig?

Thanks in advance for the input.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

I would ask you how you like to fish primarily. If you are big troller/ rigger, then yes iit is worth the money to get at those slower speeds. I have a 150 yamaha and it does not troll down enough so I have a 9.9 next to it.

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

I’ve got a 150 on my 1850 sport fish and a t8 kicker. With the troll master control it’ll troll down to .7 on the gps so I could in theory use the I-Pilot and the T8 in tandum for assist in river current.
    I did’nt catch if your 150 was a 2 or 4 stroke, makes a differance I believe.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I do alot of rigging and I have been getting into trolling more recently. I was playing around with lead last fall and I really enjoyed it. With the 150 I was only able to get down to maybe 2.5 mph. I do have a Terrova 80lb Ipilot on the bow and I actually used that for trolling some last fall when it was placid and it worked well if the conditions were right. If the water had a good chop I don’t think it would work well.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I am running a 150 4 stroke.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you are trolling the hours rack up on the big motor fast. Anyone who knows his stuff when buying a used boat will get a print out of hours.

Rigging in wind, pulling spinners and trolling are all great times to use a kicker and steer with the terrova.

I vote for a kicker.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

If your trolling alot buy the kicker.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run a 175 navigator with a 150 e-tec. Not the same as a 4 stroke but similar rig. I would be lost without my t8, but I do a ton of trolling.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Quote:

If you are trolling the hours rack up on the big motor fast. Anyone who knows his stuff when buying a used boat will get a print out of hours.

Rigging in wind, pulling spinners and trolling are all great times to use a kicker and steer with the terrova.

I vote for a kicker.

I am definitely leaning towards adding it and I have thought about the fact that it would save hours on the big motor and it would probably save fuel while trolling as well.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Quote:

I run a 175 navigator with a 150 e-tec. Not the same as a 4 stroke but similar rig. I would be lost without my t8, but I do a ton of trolling.

Are you running the T8 with remote controls and the steering tied into the main motor?

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Another vote for the kicker.
    Especially a yamaha, I love our t8. even if you don;t do a lot of trolling it can be handy. Something happens to your main outboard and you can still get back, battery dies from a long day on the water and its a lot easier to start than the main motor to charge the battery, strong winds and you can use it to back troll into the wind, even if its just to vertical jig on the river…I’m sure I’ve used it for other things too just can’t think of them at the moment.
    Everything I’ve listed is from personal experience, I’ll always have a kicker on.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Had a very hard time spending the cash for a kicker myself…some best money ever spent. If you troll much, you need a kicker. Quiet, sips fuel, and keeps the hours off your 150. Do it!!!!

Ryan

150 Yami with 9.9 kicker

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I also have the troll master throttle controll and steering attached to the main column. Very happy with this setup.

Ryan

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Are you running the T8 with remote controls and the steering tied into the main motor?

depends on what I’m doing. Sometimes I run it with the tie bar on and use the troll master. Sometimes I just run it from the kicker. I like the option of either.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My kicker has brought me home a few times. I would never be without one. More as a backup now than for trolling.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks for the input guys! It sounds like once I get the kicker on there I probably will never be with out one again! I am going to pull the trigger and add one to my rig. Thanks again guys!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

If your trolling alot buy the kicker.

Absolutely.

Some guys like the console control, but I run and prefer a tiller kicker. When you turn, it’s immediate. Just feel I have better control.

Plus, even though your big motor is a 4 stroke, the kicker will save obvious $$ in gas. We have some 5mph lakes around here where I never start the 150, I just use the kicker all day. I’d be lost without mine, and you’ll love yours. You’re making the right decision!

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the input guys! It sounds like once I get the kicker on there I probably will never be with out one again! I am going to pull the trigger and add one to my rig. Thanks again guys!

hey Mike, don’t spend all of your money before you make it up to see me!! sounds like you got yourself a nice rig, looking forward to checking it out. Do you miss your tiller?

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Hey Trev! I will save some money for you when I come out in June!

So far I don’t miss the tiller. I have been spending most of my time on the bow with the I-piliot so it has worked well.

What kind of bite do you think I will hit this year when I come out? With these warmer temps everything seems to be real early this year.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

You’re gonna have to change your user name now too!!

The bite…probably be pulling cranks already! Depends on how quick the water warms, but i’m pretty sure you will be able to catch ’em the same way you did last year. A lot of the walleyes on OT never go deep and just hang in the weeds all summer. You should be good! Enjoy the new ride.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Well Trev, I should be pretty well set up to pull cranks once I get that kicker installed!

I do like jigging and rigging as well… we will have a whole week to figure them out so I think we will be alright!

See you in June!

wallgeye
    Richfield, MN

When I had my kicker installed I was asked what side I wanted it installed on. I had not given this any thought what so ever before being asked. For reasons I do not remember I had them install it on the drivers side of the transom (steering wheel boat). Now, I wish I had it installed on the other side. Ever since installing it, the boat lists a bit to that side with my big butt, the starter battery and the kicker on the same side. I have a heck of a time getting the boat on the trailer flat and level. I actually make sure my live well is filled and move my heavy tackle bags to the opposite side to try to even things out.

Just a thought.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

185 Tourny Sport with a F150 yammie, I have a T-8 with a troll master 2 hooked up to my main steering and love it.

I troll a lot and can’t see putting time and wear on the big motor when the T-8 runs so well.

Get a troll master or something like it, if you go with a kicker. imho

Al

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.