Trolling Motor Battery Questions

• elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

After fishing 6.5 hours in the 20-25 mph winds Tuesday on Pool 9 and running the transom electric constantly to try and move downstream the battery went dead. No problem switch to the bow mount, guess not battery dead. I have been using the Diehard AGM Series 31 for the transom motor the last several years with good success. They are pricey.

So I need to get a new battery for the bowmount and considering getting the Diehard AGM Platinum again. My question to you all is what specification on the battery creates the longest run time? The cold cranking amps is not an advantage. So we have reserve capacity and amp hours. What advice can you give me on which of these are the most important for long term running time on the water? Am I doing the right thing by buying the high dollar batteries?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

What advice can you give me on which of these are the most important for long term running time on the water? Am I doing the right thing by buying the high dollar batteries?

I have never seen/found/felt that high dollar batteries are any better than the low dollar counterparts. I’ve had a number of guides tell me if you are paying more than $100 or batteries, you are paying to much. I figure they are on the water and demand much more out of their batteries then I ever will.

I don’t see me ever buying anything other than lead acid batteries.

I run Interstates (Group 27). Very happy with them. I would have loved to have group 29 or even 31 but they won’t fit. In your case I would recommend the same. Buy Interstates and try to get group 29 or 31s into the storage area.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I agree somewhat with what Wade had to say.
    Although I run the expensive Optima batteries (that was the decission I made sometime back) I know alot of people that run the interstate 29, and even more preferable 31 series and are very happy with them.
    I know you can get 2 + interstates for what you’d pay for one top-of-the-line batteries.
    Always a tough decission for me. I know I wouldn’t go anything below a 29 sereis for trolling motors. Preferably, if they fit, the 31’s.
    Good lcuk

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t see that Interstate offers a 31 series marine battery (other than the Optima), unless I am missing something.

Interstate Batteries

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

Here’s some info on specs for the Seard Diehard batteries that you have been running. Sears was contracted with Odyssey batteries for production.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-TT-RS-006_0611_000.pdf

The Odyssey brand is a Military/commercial grade battery and comes at a premium cost up front. The longer service life of more than 400 cycles past 80% depth of discharge will more that cover that cost and keep you on the water longer. Most other batteries start losing their efficiency after about 30 discharges. Many of the boats that we have been rigging at Skeeter Boat Center have been “upgraded” to Odyssey’s after the customers have been educated on the benefits. I have been running them for 2 years now and they have performed for days on end with out recharging when we were unable to have electrical hook up “Rainy Lake trip”
    and run for days on end.

Beaver E

I would check out trojan batteries. I love them and I have no complaint. I no the deal in town here puts them in all of his golf carts. They are a great battery. I think I am going on 5 years with mine.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I agree somewhat with what Wade had to say.
    Although I run the expensive Optima batteries (that was the decission I made sometime back) I know alot of people that run the interstate 29, and even more preferable 31 series and are very happy with them.
    I know you can get 2 + interstates for what you’d pay for one top-of-the-line batteries.
    Always a tough decission for me. I know I wouldn’t go anything below a 29 sereis for trolling motors. Preferably, if they fit, the 31’s.
    Good lcuk

Mike, I’ve always felt that bad feelings toward lead acid batteries failing are most likely due to bad battery maintenance/care as opposed to a bad product.

I would love to see some hard data on how AGMs honestly compare to lead acid in real world situations.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Wade, Here’s more information that you will ever want or need to know on Odyssey batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-VZoyU7CY&feature=related

Check out the specs on them at http://www.odysseybattery.com and compare them to some others.
    As for real world usages and applications, I guess if the military puts them in ther M1 Abrams tank there’s a reason and they will do just fine in my Skeeter…

Thanks Greg. I wonder if there is any objective data out there that is done by an impartial assessor.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Thank you for all input, it is much appreciated. I have decided to go with another DieHard Platinum in the 31 series. The one I currently have is on its fifth year and still going strong. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

iceman35
    upstate New York

hey Elk, you never can go wrong with what worked in the past… maybe a good time to check your wiring… I rewired mine to a straight 24 system, eliminated alot of wire and connections. Also your charging. I took the onboard out of the boat and never again… we did bench testing here and found them to be less than advertised. just picked up a nice 15 amp schumacher at auto zone. has a AGM setting.
    lastly, since your leaning on the electric alot, might want to think spare battery… I actually keep a spare in the boat fully charged where the onboard charger used to be…

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Quote:

I don’t see that Interstate offers a 31 series marine battery (other than the Optima), unless I am missing something.
    Interstate Batteries

The Bass Pro batteries are made by Interstates and are the 31’s. 160 bucks a pop through

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I’m going to Wally World this weekend for 3 new 29’s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.