Winter fishing questions

• smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Where do you guys get those plugs for plugging off your live wells and what are they called. Also what do you do about the live well intakes? I have a screen on mine I guess I could remove it and screw on a threaded plug.

Thanks

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Most dealers carry various sized plugs. Wine or wiskey bottle corks work well too. Plug from the inside or you will need to remember to pull them before hitting the road now in MN.

-J.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

You can buy the cork plugs in various sizes at any hardware store.

Topper

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

What are they called? I have asked but no one knows what I’m asking for

scott-k
    Red Wing

I use livewell stoppers…the black ones with the little lever. There are different sizes and they are somewhat adjustable for the different sized holes.

You are correct: unscrew the screen and put a livewell stopper in it. I do mine from the outside because I can’t reach down in there all that well.

I plug ANY hole that could possibly take in water and then freeze. I have 6 holes out the back and two holes near the front for livewell overflow.

I do not use my livewell at all during cold weather fishing. I know that some people put fish in the livewell “dry”. Not me…p-youey! Bring a cooler if you want to keep fish.

Hope that helps!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

you could also look at grainger for plumbing test plugs.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

On my Lund Mr. Pike the two screens on the back intakes unscrew and I replaced them with plastic caps. Sprinkler dept of Fleet Farm. The live well overflows out the side get plugged with 1.5″ plumbing test plug. Fleet Farm plumbing dept.
    web page

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.