Winterizing a Four Stroke Yamaha

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I purchased a new rig this fall with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke. The last time I used the boat was the middle of November. I will be using it again this February for sure but if temperatures permit (30 degrees farenheit or warmer) I will be using it periodically between now and then.

I am going to have the oil changed since I believe I have completed my 10 hour break in and they recommennd an oil change once that 10 hour period is reached.

My question is do I need to “winterize” this boat? And what should I do to “winterize” given that it will only be sitting idle for 3 months tops and probably not even that long. Do I need to fog it? Let me know what you guys normal do or recommend having done with your 4 stroke motors.

Thanks,

Mike

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I forgot to add that I do run marine stable in every tank but just the recommended amount for every day use and not storage.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Sounds like you will be using it enough that I would just check or re-lube your trailer bearings and drop the lower unit oil and replace.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

That is what I was thinking but thought I would see what others recommend or what they normally do. I didn’t figure fogging it was necessary. Thanks for the response.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

Why would you think about winterizing your boat? The fishing is great right now in the river and if your boat is stored in your garage you should be fine. Keep sea foam in the gas and make sure the water is out of it at the landing and fish all season. If you are going to use it you don’t need to fog it.

Topper

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks Topper! I was thinking I didn’t need to fog it… since it shouldn’t be sitting idle much but I am just looking for some reassurance. I spent alot of money on this rig and I want to make sure I am doing everything necessary to keep it running well.

Your advice to run Sea Foam all the time opens another can of worms… Marine Stabil vs. Sea Foam. Which should a guy be using and should he be using it with every tank?

Thanks,

Mike

igotone

Magnum

I was looking long and hard at the motor U got

My ? is why not use ring free from yamaha

From all the sreaching on the web I did that is what I found to be best 4 that engine
    since yours is new B a good time to start
    Will see if I still got info saved and will PM it to U

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Thanks Topper! I was thinking I didn’t need to fog it… since it shouldn’t be sitting idle much but I am just looking for some reassurance. I spent alot of money on this rig and I want to make sure I am doing everything necessary to keep it running well.

Your advice to run Sea Foam all the time opens another can of worms… Marine Stabil vs. Sea Foam. Which should a guy be using and should he be using it with every tank?

Thanks,

Mike

I use Ring Free in every tank.

Maintenance Matters

Click on “Ethanol Tips” in the link.

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

I have a 2004 F150 and T8. Ring free every tank and Marine Stabil for any storage over a month. Never any problems.
    Make sure you have a 10 micron fuel filter and change it at least once a season. Works for me. Good luck with your new rig.
    Jim

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Magnum: You’ll probably get a lot of different opinions on this question. I have a 2006 F150. I too have done a lot of Internet research on this topic and have concluded that based on what you are saying, there is no need to do anything special to that motor except run some type of fuel stabilizer (Ringfree) in the tanks/into the motors. At 10 +/- hours, you probably don’t need to do much else with the running schedule you have noted. It may be good to take a look at your engine oil and see how it looks. Same with your lower unit oil. Just make sure they look good (not white). It’s also a good time to check props for line.
    I did change my engine oil at 10 hours, but it was just done to make me feel more confortable in knowing that my break-in oil did not have anything in it after the 10 hours. I run my boat the same as you in terms of the time lapses in December, Jan, Feb, and March. It gets run in those months when I can,… but it may also sit for a month or so too. This is not long enough (IMO) to be worried about “winterizing” anything. Heck,… My truck parks for this same period of time and I do nothing to that either. You will not have any isssues with that F150 if you run it in this manner. Change everything (fluids and all filters) according to your motor maint. schedule – or next Fall at freeze-up – and you’ll be just fine. Note that the rear fule filter, found behind in the lower coweling area, is an important element to check/change. Don’t forget that filter!.
    If you want, you can do an extensive search on walleye central.com on this subject. I think you’ll see that I am not off track with what I am saying for this motor. The track record with the F150’s is great. Like I said, you’ll definitely get other opinions, but I believe that a 2 month sit +/- is not enough time to be fully winterizing any motor. This is my experience having onwed and operated an Evinrude, a Johnson and now a F150 – running and maintaining them all in the same manner.
    Have fun with your new rig.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks for all the input guys! It sounds like I maybe should be using the Yamaha Ring Free in every tank instead of the marine stabil. It looks like Yamaha has another fuel conditioner as well. What is the difference between the two?

Thanks,

Mike

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Your fishing schedule is about the same as what mine was. With that said here is what I would do.
    At this point,

Change lower unit lube (IF there is any water in there you want to get it out before it freezes and cracks the case).

Change oil and Filter

You shouldnt have a need to replace the 10 micron filter yet. Do that next fall.

Run the running amount of ring free in EVERY tank.

Also I would probably fill your gas tanks up and add the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer to the tank.

Other than that you should be more than fine. I would NOT fog that motor. Fogging a 4 stroke motor really does nothing for it. It doesnt hurt it by any means but doesnt really do anything other than make it hard to start after it sits for a while.

As far as the difference in ring free and fuel stabilizer.

Ring free is to combat the ethanol and junk in the gas. It is also a huge helper in combating carbon build up and deposits.

Fuel stabilizer is more for any water that is in the fuel. Also if you run the motor properly after adding the stabilizer it will “coat” all metal surfaces it comes in contact with to help prevent rust.

Any other questions feel free to hollar!!

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks for the info Eric! I do have one other question. I always buy “recreational gas” that is advertised as having no ethanol since I have been told to stay away from ethanol if possible but this usually means that I have to buy a higher octane fuel. Are there any harmful side effects from running a higher octane fuel?

Thanks,

Mike

milemark_714

I heard that using higher octane in a motor that does not require it can lead to increased combustion deposits.That could be an entire different discussion?91 octane burns slower than 87.The best way to deal with the ethanol would be by using a fuel/water separator,plus good stabilizer.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

There wont be any major damage done by running a higher octane fuel in that motor. With that said it wont help you a whole lot either. There is just as much “junk” in 91 as there is in 87 just not the extra ethanol.
    Ring free and fuel stabilizer will combat what ethanol is in the 87 and you will be fine. The biggest thing with gas is to not let it sit to long. The best case would be to not let any gas sit for more than a month in the tank. Just adding fresh gas to old gas doesnt do a whole lot either just diluates it some.
    With that said, run 87 and use the recommened amount of ring free and stabilizer and keep fresh gas in it and you should be good!!

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks Eric! Just to clarify, you recommend running stabilizer and Ring Free in every tank?

Thanks Again!

Mike

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Add 1oz of ring free for every 10gal of gas that you put in, and run that all year every time.
    I would run the stabilizer starting in the fall and continue into the spring. Use the running amount listed on the bottle and not the storage amount. Running it all year wont hurt anything but during the warmer months it wont help a whole lot UNLESS the boat is going to sit for a month or so at a time.
    So basically if you think you may not run the boat for 3 weeks or more add some stabilzer to what gas you have left BEFORE you fish for the last day so the stabilizer can work through the fuel lines and get to the motor.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Sounds good Eric! Thanks for the help Eric and everyone else who contributed to this post!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.