1994 Pro-V w/ 150 hp Yamaha Opinions

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger boat but finances are a big consideration so I am looking at older boats. I am looking at a 1994 1890 Lund Pro-V DLX with a 150 Yamaha outboard motor. Boat is in pretty good shape, comes with trolling motor and older electronics. The price is $8750, I think this is a fair price but looking for some opinions from other fisherman.

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

For reference I purchased a 2001 1775 Lund Mr. Pike with a Merc 115 with boat, motor, and trailer in like new condition this May for $10,800.

liar
    Lakeville

I bought a 1994 Pro V w/75 hp tiller for 7500. in June.

seeds
    SE WI

I bought a 1999 Pro V w/a 75 tiller – in very good shape,with a brand-new trailer – last year. It was an upgrade from a 14’Smokercraft w/a 35 tiller….I paid $7200 for the Pro V.

If finances are tight,can you afford to run that motor? I did a run halfway down (and back) P9 last Friday and it cost me $50. Three days on the river,$100 in boat fuel…$200 gas for the truck,$36 for lodging (2 nights at Rudy’s),$20 for food (cold brats and apples).

Boat fuel cost didn’t used to be a consideration,now it is. Of course,I briefly consider it while I’m runnin’ down the river at WTO.

I run farther because I can,and there’s somewhere else I want to fish….And I like to run the boat. But there’s been times I’ve been shocked at just how much money I spent on boat gas when I used to be happy with a 6 gallon tank for a week’s fishing vacation.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger boat but finances are a big consideration so I am looking at older boats. I am looking at a 1994 1890 Lund Pro-V DLX with a 150 Yamaha outboard motor. Boat is in pretty good shape, comes with trolling motor and older electronics. The price is $8750, I think this is a fair price but looking for some opinions from other fisherman.

If there is someway you can swing it and get a boat with a DI ( direct injection ) motor they sip fuel compared to the carbed models. My 135 Opti uses half the fuel my 1983 60 HP Evenrude tiller. If I run about 4,000 RPM which is 35-36 MPH GPS I average just a hair under 5 MPG. If I run WOT that 135 Opti can suck fuel with the best of them.

Good Luck on your search.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The OP doesn’t say if the 150 Yamaha is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Given the year, I believe it could be either?

I would also say to consider the fuel issue carefully. 2 years ago I sold off my Crestliner Sportfish SST with a 150 HP Johnson 2 stroke (carbed) specifically because I couldn’t stand the massive fuel consumption any more. On the river I was lucky to average 2 MPG even at “best cruise”, you could almost literally watch the fuel gauge drop while you were driving.

Beyond the expense is the PITA factor of CONSTANTLY having to fill up before every trip. Running out of fuel on the river isn’t something I want to risk, so I felt obligated never to put in with anything less than 3/4 of a tank (25+ some gallons).

Grouse

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

The motor is a 2 stroke. To the comment can you afford to run the motor, that is one of the reasons I am looking at an older/less expensive boat because I want to be able to go out whenever/wherever and not worry so much about what that particular day will cost because I will not have a $400 a month boat payment. I am not a speed demon so cruising 2/3 throttle to increase fuel economy is just fine by me. Thanks for the opinions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.