Optimax Won’t Start

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I have a 2009 Opti, 200HP. Fantastic running engine, problem is last time I went out, it ran great until I shut it off to fish. Now, it will turn over but I get no “beep” when I turn the key on, and will not start.

I thought possibly the starting battery did not have enough charge in it, but it is an Optima marine starting battery, and after putting it on the charger overnight it still will not fire. Smartcraft says the battery is at 12.8 volts. Any ideas before I bite the “hook it to a laptop” bullet?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Kill switch in the off position?

-J.

morey shay

check all fuses herd of that on other obs
    good luck

scrapman

Check the fuses under the hood on the starboard side. I had the same thing happen with my 06 Opti 150.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

First thing I would check is the kill lanyard. There should be a beep or it will not fire. Could also be the key switch.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

-J.

Been there done that !!!

Check the kill switch

jon johansen
    menomonie wi

pounded the boat on LOTW this year and the teather switch shut the motor down twice man it was ruogh out there

KirtH
    Lakeville

Kill Switch Also check for a fuel shut off, A buddy was having engine issues, turned out fuel shut off under the floor was off after running in rough water.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Quote:

-J.

X2!?

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I ran out of oil once and and my Opti wouldn’t start. Nice fail safe feature? Take a look.

yetiwalleye

I hope your merc dealer does’nt charge you to hook up your opti to a laptop especially if you bought it from him…my dealer will hook for free and run diagnostics…if your getting charged with an ’09 motor you are getting ripped off. Find a new dealer…

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I forgot to mention I checked the kill switch. It is in the proper position. I’ll check the fuses, look for a fuel shut off, and test ignition switch. Thanks for all the pointers guys!
    I am the second owner of this rig, the nearest Merc dealer is 30 miles away. I have a local mechanic that I use for most service. Not sure if he will charge me for a laptop hookup. If so, I’ll drive the 30 miles to the dealer I guess, if needed. Thanks again!

Bob Bowman
    MN

There should be 3 of these under the hood, one for trim up, one for trim down and the other is for starting. Tap them lightly with a screwdriver and have someone turn the key as your testing. The contact points on the relay get bad over time. My Opti stopped working for no reason and the relay is what caused it….the shop had to tell me

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Oooops, it was the kill switch after all…
    There was a piece of debri above it, and it felt like it was all the way up but it was not. Glad I didn’t give up and take it to the shop, I’d have felt pretty stupid! Thanks guys for all the help!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.