What size battery?

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I’m going to switch to a 55lb 12v trolling motor. What size reserve capacity battery will get me by well enough with moderate use. Just kind of lost when trying to decide what size/kind battery to get. I’d like to get a Interstate but the cost is a bit much for the amount I’d be using it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Group 27 or 29 will fit your needs.

I just installed 2 Interstate group 29’s on my new 55lb , I had room and the $$ to buy 2 so I did.

For me its Interstate all the way, others may vary

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Battery size (series) is often limited by available space. What do you have to work with or is space not an issue?

The top table at this site will give you some idea of what to expect regarding run times for various series batteries >>> web page

If it was me, and I was relying on one battery for my trolling motor, I would go BIG. 29 series at a minimum.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i’ve got a 55/12 and you can not get big enuf…

red89
    Hudson

I have a 55lb. 12v powerdrive on my boat, and use a 27 series Resolute battery from fleet farm. I think they are somewhere between 60$ to 90$. Seems like a perfectly good battery to me

Sam Held
    Rocklake, ND

Quote:

I have a 55lb. 12v powerdrive on my boat, and use a 27 series Resolute battery from fleet farm. I think they are somewhere between 60$ to 90$. Seems like a perfectly good battery to me

I run the same setup and have not had an issue, battery is going strong on my third year of use.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

if you have the room, how much of a price difference is there between a 27 and a 31? a couple of bucks.. this is not where to save money.. again.. when you REALLY NEED IT, it will be there for you.. the last thing you want is to be stuck some place, and then discuss with yourself the 5 bucks that you saved..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.