Entering Canada with WI EDL driver’s license?

• Bill Mundt

Looking into a ice fishing trip in the next couple of weeks up to Canada. I do not have a passport. And not enough time to get one. My buddy claims a trip to the DMV and get the new EDL drivers license is all it need to cross the border. Is this true? Anyone have an expertise here? Thanks

slough

Oh boy here we go!!

If you wonder what I mean, there was just a similar thread about a week ago that got kinda contentious.

JEREMY
    BP

The last one said you absolutely need a passport definitley dont need a passport.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

An enhanced drivers license is acceptable for land crossing into Canada. That’s all I’m saying about that.

Good luck trying to get it from the DMV before you go. It can take up to 8 weeks.

tswoboda

Wisconsin doesn’t offer an Enhanced Driver’s License, no international border… whistling

Riverrat

Yup tswoboda nailed it. No EDL in Wisonsin. But you can enter with a Tim Hortons discount card, your Yogi Bear Junior Park membership card, and a 1 liter bag of milk (no cartons).

Bill Mundt

Well that clears that up. Makes sense. Thanks guys.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Looking into a ice fishing trip in the next couple of weeks up to Canada. I do not have a passport. And not enough time to get one. My buddy claims a trip to the DMV and get the new EDL drivers license is all it need to cross the border. Is this true? Anyone have an expertise here? Thanks

The shortest method if you driving across is to have your birth certificate and a valid driver license.

big_g
    Isle, MN

An actual fishing related post and he gets blown up by those pissing and moaning that there are no fishing related posts. coffee

MX1825

Wisconsin doesn’t offer an Enhanced Driver’s License, no international border… whistling

I have a WI EDL. In WI take your birth certificate, your utility bill or a bank statement, and your current DL to the DMV. You can get a copy of your new license and a hard billfold copy comes in the mail in about 2 weeks.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Doesnt the EDL (Enhanced Drivers License) indicated by having a star on it? If yes, I have had one for years. If I recall, it takes a bit more background checks on the front end but thats about it

Apologies if I am wrong, but it sounds familiar but I had it done probably 10yrs ago

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Doesnt the EDL (Enhanced Drivers License) indicated by having a star on it? If yes, I have had one for years. If I recall, it takes a bit more background checks on the front end but thats about it

Apologies if I am wrong, but it sounds familiar but I had it done probably 10yrs ago

In WI:
    A STAR in the upper right corner of the card indicates that the card is compliant with Federal REAL ID Act requirements

Pat K
    Empire, MN

An enhanced drivers license and a real ID license are two different things. A real ID will get you on a domestic flight, the EDL works like a passport for land crossings of the border. Your state has to have a land border with a foreign nation to issue an EDL.

FinnyDinDin

The shortest method if you driving across is to have your birth certificate and a valid driver license.

This works. Have fun in Canada!

MX1825

Thank you Pat K for explaining the difference. I did not know that. I thought the Fed Star license was an EDL. My bad.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Thank you Pat K for explaining the difference. I did not know that. I thought the Fed Star license was an EDL. My bad.

X2 for me also

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.