Engine break in

• Jensen

Just got the new boat home with mercury 115 pro xs. For the first 2 hours of break in do most just vary speeds for 2 hours straight or do some stop fish and then continue with breaking in at various speeds? Just curious as to what others did as this is my first new boat and motor. Thanks for any help can’t wait to get it on the water.

Attachments:
    1. 20200521_193912.jpg

MnPat1

This
    Do it to the letter
    You need to get the motor hot to set the rings.
    Leave the motor trimmed all the way down for wide open runs.

Attachments:
    1. CEC7925E-2AA2-46CE-9982-9E766A54FBE5.jpeg

Jensen

Thanks mnpat. Do you run motor for 2 hrs straight or give the motor a break every so often?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Hey, is this you?

HRG

Attachments:
    1. new-1875-Hennepin.jpg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Read and follow what the owners manual says so you don’t void your warranty. That being said it really doesn’t matter much, running it hard is better than idling it. But I still see a lot of people that will just let it run in their yard to get through the break in time and it doesn’t have a negative effect.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I typically just try and get it out of the way the first time I take it out on the water. Main thing is to vary the RPM’s and don’t hold it wide open for long periods of time.

bclii
    MN/AZ

I break all of mine in on the first outing to get it finished. That said, it doesn’t matter if the first 2 hrs. are done all at once or intermittent. What does matter is the first 2 hrs of break in are logged during the heat cycle, ie normal engine operating temperature. This time of year it takes a little extra time to reach that engine temp with cooler lake temperatures so the record break in time needs to occur during the heat cycle for rings to seat properly. Enjoy your new pro xs!

Jensen

Thanks all for the input. I appreciate it. So I got almost 2 hrs of the break in done today really impressed with the smooth ride it is on the lund 1875 impact xs. It has a 4 blade spitfire prop. What would be the top end speed be with fully loaded and 2 guys? I had it trimmed down to work the engine and was topping out around 31mph is that average or will that increase as the break in completed and the motor is trimmed up more? Thanks all for your help

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Jensen,

I broke in my 15 ProXS exactly to the letter of the manual. It was a little weird but I found a nice decent sized lake where I wouldn’t be bothering fishermen while I ran back and forth doing the beak in dance.

I’m actually surprised you got an 1875 with the 115. I have that motor on my 1775 Impact XS and I’m getting 40 – 44 mph depending on passengers and loadout. 45 going down south on the river. Of course the 1875 is significantly larger and probably a fair bit heavier than the 1775 so I imagine your top end seems about right. The thing gets great gas mileage though.

Jensen

It came with the 115 and was at a unbelievable price and the addition of the 150 with hydraulic steering was another 5k . I guess for the extra 5k to get to my spots 3 minutes later with the 115 I can live with. Just getting an idea of speed it should get. Love the boat so far. I appreciate the help Kyle.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I tested that boat with 2 people, trolling motor, 3 batteries, but very light load other than that. I ran as fast as 42 at 6250 RPM’s, but average more in the 40-41 range fully trimmed out. This was with the engine mounted in the second hole and a 15 pitch Spitfire. My guess would be mid to upper 30’s with a moderately heavy load and a couple people.

Jensen

Continued with break in today and after talk with dealer gradually tilted motor up a bit and gained another 7mph. Things going well I am enjoying the setup.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Jensen that sounds awesome then if you’re getting 38 mph now! The 115 ProXS is the best motor I’ve ever owned and it’s so quiet I love it. Play with that trim as much as you can to be sure you know exactly how it performs at all trim levels and speeds. I’m amazed at what I figured out once I owned my own boat, like hitting those big waves trimmed down actually makes it a lot smoother than launching over them at full trim. And you’ll figure out just how high you can trim it without blowing out

KPE
    River Falls, WI

That wasn’t you out in Prescott yesterday by chance? I saw an 1875 impact with a ProXS but couldn’t make out if it was a 115 or 150.

Jensen

No Kyle I was up by the Wilmar area. I absolutely love the new boat so far so much to learn. The trailer is bunk which is a little new since I have been used to rollers my whole life and most lakes so far have been shallow access. Load and unload are my things I need to find the sweet spot. I did get past the 2 hrs break in and top speed has been 41mph. Thanks to all for the help and info with this new process for me. Better get back to my driveway I’m making for new shop in my backyard.

Umy
    South Metro

I followed break in to the letter as well. 1775 Impact XS 115 4 stroke. GREAT mileage, two guys, fully loaded gear for 4 days in Canada and it runs smooth across rainy at between 37- 39 mph fully trimmed about 5600 rpms. Already been fishing several times before I realized it was idling still. I too have the 4 blade spitfire and it’s on plane quick. By myself, calm water fully trimmed been to 41 mph. Just to see. I personally don’t need to get anywhere that fast though, not why I bought it. I have the same color w roller trailer – love it! Been out on lakes/river 23 times since April 18 so far.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.