Enclosed trailer

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thinking about getting an enclosed trailer, primarily for hunting so I can haul more gear and the ATV without having to load/unload the truck when shuffling back and forth (currently put gear in the truck and ATV on a small open trailer), but also as just a general use trailer hauling stuff around that won’t fit or I don’t want to put in back of pickup. Maybe even get back into ice fishing and use it for hauling gear and ATV (possible snowmobile in future use). So clearly will be using it at times of year that the roads are treated, for those who already have a similar trailer would you only look at all aluminum trailers, or will the better built steel frame trailers hold up? I have a 5×8 open utility trailer (cheap little Teske one) that the powder coating started coming off in sheets about 3 years into owning it, don’t want to repeat that again. Thinking a 14′ or 16′ would do the trick, preferable tandem axle so I have the ability to load it up if needed, but not willing to spend a small fortune on a trailer that will sit as much or more than it is used either (but is looking like may be my only option with all aluminum unless I find a good used one). Ideally would be as tall as I can get that will still fit into an 8′ tall overhead door so that I can store it in the shop.

Another tennent in the building our warehouse is in has a 16′ legend aluminum one sitting in the yard, looks real nice but not going to spend 7000+ on a trailer.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thinking something like this, believe this was a United 7×14, steel frame

Attachments:
    1. 2021_United_Trailers_7X14_Enclosed_Cargo_Trailer_uCV5fs.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have had very good experiences with haulmark steel frame trailers.
    However, I’m still up in the air on the VHB tape and adhesive method for fastening the exterior sheathing on. I did have some advesive not bond from the factory. My thought is that in years to come I can always ss screw it on if I must like the others.

I can’t bring myself to pay for an aluminum enclosed for utility hauling.

7 wide pulls real nice and tandem makes it very smooth also, no tongue bobbing and the load never moves nor bounces the vehicle like a single axle can.
    Door height is the decision to make, if you plan to get a SxS then go tall but it drags more in wind.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I went all AL and love it. I went with a single axle to cut down on weight, I have the added height to haul SXS’s. I also added a couple windows in case I want to sleep in it for overnight trips.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

We use a 7×16 enclosed steel frame, tandem axle for our business. First one we had was an H&H. Not a bad trailer and it towed well, loaded or empty. I would call them a mid-grade trailer. That one was hit on 494 last year, so we replaced it with a Continental Cargo. Same 7×16, steel, tandem. But, this one has heavier axles and a higher load capacity. Overall quality of the Continental is good, but it tows like crap. Loaded or empty. Too little tongue weight. My only advice would be to test “drive” whatever one you’re looking at, using your tow vehicle. Also, like most anything, you generally get what you pay for.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If it is to be used in winter I would buy aluminum. The crap the spread on the highways in winter just eats a steel painted trailer. Also it will be lighter so it helps with cargo capacity and fuel economy. JMO

Charles

If used in winter, add a little diesel heater to keep stuff thawed out.

Ice Cap

Being independent distributors for years until I retired we purchased and went through about a half dozen trailer. These were used daily and loaded fairly heavy. We quickly learned all aluminum was the way to go for our application. Triton seemed the best but also the most costly.

We switched from trailers to box trucks about ten years ago. Aluminum can be more sensitive to overloading so you need to be more careful there. You don’t have to look far to find a aluminum fish house/toy hauler with a broken tongue. If loaded properly they are much easier on you’re truck to pull.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

See if you can find a galvanized steel frame. Or else probably aluminum.

munchy
    NULL

Check out Stealth trailers. I’ve got a 12×5 Aluminum single axle that I’m very impressed with and have no complaints. And while i was doing my research they were one of the less expensive options. Seem to be seeing more and more of them on the roads lately as well.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

My 2 cents. You get what you pay for. As others have said if you are using the trailer in winter aluminium hands down or you will regret it. Triton, legend, aluma are a few of the top ones. I’m sure someone will chime in with cheaper options and they look the same for a few years and then the cheap starts to show. Spend the extra money now and you will be happy for years.

curleytail

One thing that may be worth mentioning is mpg. I don’t have a TON of experience towing enclosed trailers, and the ones I have towed were insulated toy haulers or ice shacks, but my experience so far suggests you’ll probably be getting 8-12 mph if towing with a gas truck, depending on time of year and towing speed. Diesel is probably a little better. It doesn’t seem to matter much if they are loaded heavy or light, the main issue is the constant drag from pulling that box through the air. Length doesn’t matter much but width and height can be a factor in how much drag there is and how it affects mpg.

The other thing I’ve noticed is they will pull your truck around a little more when it’s windy out. I think a well balanced tandem axle can help that. I know a single axle with too little tongue weight can be downright scary, especially on slick roads.

My brother’s 3/4 ton with E rated tires held the road pretty solid, but 1/2 ton trucks with P rated tires can make you pay a little more attention driving 70+ mph on a windy day.

So all that said, I agree to hook onto one and tow it before buying if you can. Some may not pull bad and some may make you say no way once you get over 65 mph.

The fuel economy hit stinks, but I am jealous when a guy pulls up on the ice with everything loaded onto his snowmobile or atv, drops the door, and hits the ice on a clean rig. We hunted out of my brother’s 7×18 enclosed trailer this year and it was very nice, especially on the snowy and rainy days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.