Elk Outfitter 2016 – Costs and options

• Brandon Brackey

My father and I have been talking about going on an elk hunt our entire lives but have not really looked into it before. Since he is already 54 I told him we need to either make this happen in the next couple of years or forget about it. I am looking for some general information on if anyone has ever went on a trip out west through an outfitter and what costs were associated with this. Right now we know virtually nothing, I think this would be a once in a lifetime event so we are looking to use an outfitter/guide vs. trying to draw a tag and go on our own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

prieser
    Byron, MN

Check out any deer/turkey expo in the area, outfitters from out west will have booths set up. Visit with them and talk with any of their past clients. Good luck.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Everything I do out west is DIY, so I can’t help ya on $$$
    But, here is one suggestion to make you hunt much more enjoyable (assuming your from the midwest) – START TRAINING for hiking in higher altitudes. Depending on which season you have and snow cover, you could be anywhere between 6K and 12K feet up. Find the steepest hill you can and get yourself in the best shape possible….then strive to do a little better. Not real common, but some people just naturally get altitude sickness also. Usually headache and the squirts. The better you condition your body, the less likely you will have any problems. AND learn to keep your body hydrated. The amount of water you need to consume here at 300 to 1,000 feet is a lot different than what you need at 10,000 feet.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll get you the outfitter a buddy uses in Colorado. They take extra care of getting the “old man” up the hill on horseback etc… They drop you off at spike camp and you hunt on your own from there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.