electric auger questions

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Finally was able to find a weekend to fish with my dad. he has an old stingray auger. For the last few years it has started malfunctioning and dies out when you hit the gas. We went out saturday and we were not able to get to run enough to drill holes. He has taken to the shop many times for repairs. We tossed around the idea of getting something newer. The idea of an electric auger seems appealing because no more gas mixtures, no more pull cords, etc

From those of you that have electric augers are their brands to stay away from or recommendation. We typically drill less than 20 holes. Besides making sure they are charged is their any other maintenance or issues with these drills?

Thanks in advance.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I have a Kdrill. Though I love it, it’s over priced.

If I was starting fresh and looking to buy an auger, I’d go with the HT mini nero.

I love my electric auger but I’ll always have a gas auger in my arsenal of ice fishing tools.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ion Auger, can get the original model for $400 right now

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I got to try my first electric this weekend. Drilled 5 holes before dying and stuck on the bottom of every hole.
    I’ll take my 2 stroke

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

If I was going to get an electric auger I’d go with the strikemaster. I’ve used them several times and they’re slick. That being said, I’m sticking with my 2stroke Strikemaster.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I got to try my first electric this weekend. Drilled 5 holes before dying and stuck on the bottom of every hole.
    I’ll take my 2 stroke

I’m having the same problem with my 25-year-old Strikemaster this year. I put new blades on it and it still has a hard time cutting through that last bit of ice. Is it losing its power? I was also thinking of buying an Electric Auger after dealing with it all weekend.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Yes it loses power. When we give it gas it will spin, or stometimes not and then eventually conk out. I am sure that we could take it to a small engine repair shop, but is it worth it to spend money to keep an old one running, versus just put that money towards a new one.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I’ve used a buddy’s Ion and my brother has the new Jiffy one, but neither seem to work as well as my Strikemaster 40v. Never used any of the actual drill ones like the K-drill to compare to though.

I have zero complaints and would buy it again in a heart beat.

I’ll take my 2 stroke

Sounds like user error.. devil

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Sounds like the old Strikemaster Electra Lazer?

The newer lithium 40V is…like, light years ahead.

Matt

I’ve had an original Ion for a few years and it’s been great. I would recommend for sure. Very light to carry, quiet, and always works. It cuts through just as fast as any of the cheaper gas augers I’ve used (until you get to 20″+ of ice). I’ve done 40-50 holes no problem during early ice.

The things I don’t like are you have to keep the battery warm to get a full charge. Also, once the ice gets over 20″, I can only get 20 holes or so on a single charge. That’s fine if you know where you want to be and set up for the night, but running and gunning is tough once the ice gets that thick.

George Van

I have a new 10″ ION-X, got it for Christmas. Drilled 71 holes in 11″ ice before the battery died. Did this to see if the claims were correct. The big drawback I have seen is it ices up really easy even at 10 degrees f. Sometimes I drill one hole and can’t cut the next without chipping the ice off the blades. I’ve had my old Jiffy flights at -10 so full of frozen slush it didn’t want to clean the hole and it still cut. Not sure if I want to bring my auger into the Otter to melt every day it is cold out.

Rick Janssen

This issue has been hashed over before, so you can look back if you like. I have had a gas auger for 20 years that worked well, just was heavy for us that have to pull everything. I bought a Strikemaster electric 4 years ago and sold the gas. The older version of the electric cut everything, but was slow. 2 years ago I bought the KDrill and bought a new drill (can use that ALL year). I will never go back. That sucker flat out cuts. Yep, if you are going to cut a lot of holes, put the batteries in a cooler. I did that all year last year, but I have not done it this year. I just carry a spare. All my gear rides with me everywhere I go in the back of my Traverse, so it is not a big deal with the battery. If you have a pickup, I would take the battery in at night.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve been an Ion owner since they were first released, I will never go back to gas again…the keep the battery warm argument is a joke, you just can’t leave it out exposed to the cold elements all day, big deal…The strikemaster 40v is another good choice, although it just feels like cheap plastic to me personally…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

tgruenke,

I know were a ways away but if your ever in the area, your more than welcome to use my Strikemaster Lithium 40V..
    I know that there are a lot of electric augers out there now and they are all leagues above the older electrics…

Give me a shout if your ever in the area !!!

Dave

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you don’t ice fish often I don’t know if I’d spend the money on a new lithium ion setup. Get a cordless brushless drill and a Strikemaster hand auger and an adapter. You’d be into that setup for $200 if you shop around and then you have a spare drill at home.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ll take my 2 stroke

My first opportunity to use an electric this weekend too but my experience was quite opposite. I was impressed by the power. -20 to start the day and it worked perfectly all day. It was the Strikmaster Lithium 40V.

If I was on the market for a new auger, I’d probably buy one.

Some things to ponder though.
    1. Cost is greater for electric. Especially if you want to buy a spare battery.
    2. Batteries wear out. Replace every 4, 5, 6+ years?
    3. If the power head fails, I’m guessing it’s junk. Probably looking at a $400 bill.

Internal combustion engines have a lot of moving parts in comparison but they are proven and are usually repairable when something goes wrong.

Sounds like strikemaster will be discontinuing gas models in the next year or two.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

If you don’t ice fish often I don’t know if I’d spend the money on a new lithium ion setup. Get a cordless brushless drill and a Strikemaster hand auger and an adapter. You’d be into that setup for $200 if you shop around and then you have a spare drill at home.

X2 I was drilling 24″+ of ice this weekend with my Dewalt and an 8″ laser bit. It drills as fast as my solo 3hp. So fast so light.

Everyone I show in person what it can do is blown away. Converted 3 different people this weekend. I guided all day yesterday and only used one battery. It’s actually really fun to drill holes now.

Plus batteries are only $50 instead of $150. If my drill ever burns out a new one will only cost me $75.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

When something happens to my gas auger, I can fix it. Who can fix their electric auger if something goes wrong???

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Granted they are all newer, but I haven’t heard of anyone having an electric auger motor break yet, Ion or Strikemaster. Knock on wood there as you are right that I would have no clue on how to fix it.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Granted they are all newer, but I haven’t heard of anyone having an electric auger motor break yet, Ion or Strikemaster. Knock on wood there as you are right that I would have no clue on how to fix it.

I think of it like any other electronics. If my marcum starts acting up, I have no clue what to do and have to send it in. I would never buy an electric car, I’d have no clue where to begin working on the motor. And as we all know paying someone to work on electronics is stupid expensive.

Rick Sonnenburg

This year I got the Eskimo pistol bit 8 inch with clam plate and dewalt XR drill. Couldn’t Be happier. 13lb vs 37lb jiffy gas. Ice is over 2 feet here and cuts with no effort .Battery life is good! Just added the extension . Only draw back is it walks a bit when starting a hole on glare ice because of no point . Once you get use to it and take easy when starting hole it’s no prob.
    I couldn’t be happier!!!!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

If you drill less than 20 holes and have use for a good drill otherwise it seems smart to go that direction. If money is no object the electric augers are nice.

I use a clam plate and kdrill and am happy despite the fact it was pricey. If you have any concerns about health or potentially injuring yourself from a high torque drill binding I would say the plate is a necessity.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I have a ion and I think it’s great, I’ve not tried others

catnip
    south metro

I have grandpa’s old jiffy model 30 and still starts on the first pull. I said i wouldn’t replace it till it died. but i confess i did get a k drill and a new Milwaukee fuel drill you know to save weight. I saved 29 lbs! And it cuts super fast. It weighs 9.9 lbs and doesn’t leak. The only 2 draw backs are now i will have to build a deck using the drill and i dont get to smell the 2 stroke anymore.if you’re in the south metro and want to meet up and try it out let me know.

11bluenose

I went electric this year and have no regrets. I’ve got an Ion X 8 inch and love it. I’ve left it out in the cold intentionally to see how the battery held up. No problem at all. I’m sure I read at least a thousand reviews on various sites before making the investment. Both the Ion X and StrikeMaster 40v get consistently solid reviews. Either one would be a great purchase.

eyeguy54

nills, milwaukee fuel. drill baby drill.
    went to scheels last week and grabbed a pistol auger to compare for fun. drilled 7 holes and took it back.

shady5

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

X2 I was drilling 24″+ of ice this weekend with my Dewalt and an 8″ laser bit. It drills as fast as my solo 3hp. So fast so light.

Everyone I show in person what it can do is blown away. Converted 3 different people this weekend. I guided all day yesterday and only used one battery. It’s actually really fun to drill holes now.

Plus batteries are only $50 instead of $150. If my drill ever burns out a new one will only cost me $75.

Joe,
    So you just use the standard steel bit from a hand auger? What adapter is required? Sounds like you’ve field tested this configuration and I’d like to try it.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My brother and I use a dewalt brushless drill with Lazer 6 inch bit on a clam plate. Works great.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.