Eelpout

• Dr. Pomoxis

I realize I am probably at the tail end of the pout season, but I am going to give it a go. I have read up on baits, but have question on location. I understand it’s “walleye locations”, but is it only steep breaks, or would rocky humps be good to target as well? I have 25 to 30 ft rock/gravel humps. Or do they need to be closer to shallow water for spawning? I guess breaklines or deep flats is my main question.

Lastly, how late in the year does the bite usually go?

Thanks!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I realize I am probably at the tail end of the pout season, but I am going to give it a go. I have read up on baits, but have question on location. I understand it’s “walleye locations”, but is it only steep breaks, or would rocky humps be good to target as well? I have 25 to 30 ft rock/gravel humps. Or do they need to be closer to shallow water for spawning? I guess breaklines or deep flats is my main question.

Lastly, how late in the year does the bite usually go?

Thanks!

There’s a 200 lbs roaming the shores of Mille Lacs

Deuces

Pretty sure he could be easily caught with pulltabs under a tipup toast

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pretty sure he could be easily caught with pulltabs under a tipup Corona & Lime toast

Sorry Beads, needed to update your response.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Did somebody say pull tabs?

Deuces

How ya gonna get that cardboard fix with nothing open?

To the poster I’m not much help, I have caught pout on smaller rockpiles. Not this late in year, don’t they spawn differently than most fish? Idk

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just opened all the boxes of cereal we have hoarded. I feel much better know.

Dr.
    I would use a big colorful bass jig tipped with a minnow. Probably night fish in known walleye waters.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.