Eating groundhogs

• roadrunner0311

Hey guys,

So a friend of mine asked me to remove groundhogs from his property with my .22LR rifle. They are making holes that are damaging his structures and cripple his horses.

I shot a few, but I have never eaten groundhog before. I have been told that they are nasty. But upon researching it, it seems that many people say when properly prepared, groundhogs are a tasty treat.

With that being said, how does one go about preparing groundhog? They skin out and are gutted just like rabbits. But I read that one needs to remove the scent glands from their bodies. I could not find any scent glands on the ones I killed, so I fed them to our chickens.

But I want to do it right on my next few groundhogs. How does one go about locating the scent glands, and do they truly need to be removed in order to be consumed by people?

Kraig5858

Woodchuck, also known as groundhog, should be handled in accordance with the general rules for game in the field. The blood should be drained, and the entrails removed and the body cavity wiped clean. When hung for 48 hours, they are ready to the skinned and cooked. Woodchuck meat is dark, but mild flavored and tender. It does not require soaking; however, many people like to soak it overnight in salt water. If the woodchuck is caught just before he begins his winter sleep, there is an insulating fat layer under the skin. Remove excess fat. remove 7 to 9 “kernels” (scent glands) in the small of the back and under the forearms. Parboil the meat of older animals; cook by recipes calling for chicken or rabbit.

isu22andy

I can appreciate a man trying some wild game , however mine always get the aerial burial . Aka full shovel catapult to the ditch . Beavers always been one I’ve wanted to try , all jokes aside . I’ve heard great things .

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Kidding – right?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Kidding – right?

I think the old you boil them in a pot of water with a rock for an hour, toss them out and eat the rock joke works here. whistling

JEREMY
    BP

Woodchuck. Name says it all. Chuck it in the woods.

roadrunner0311

Woodchuck, also known as groundhog, should be handled in accordance with the general rules for game in the field. The blood should be drained, and the entrails removed and the body cavity wiped clean. When hung for 48 hours, they are ready to the skinned and cooked. Woodchuck meat is dark, but mild flavored and tender. It does not require soaking; however, many people like to soak it overnight in salt water. If the woodchuck is caught just before he begins his winter sleep, there is an insulating fat layer under the skin. Remove excess fat. remove 7 to 9 “kernels” (scent glands) in the small of the back and under the forearms. Parboil the meat of older animals; cook by recipes calling for chicken or rabbit.

Are there any tutorials for how and where to remove the glands? That’s the bit I’m having trouble with. Any pictures would help.

Also, what would happen if I do not remove the glands before cooking?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Also, what would happen if I do not remove the glands before cooking?

Refer to my rock recipe. Pretty sure they would taste like poop.

picklerick
    Central WI

This guy describes the glands as sort of looking like a bean. Should be easy enough to tell meat from inedible parts.

roadrunner0311

This guy describes the glands as sort of looking like a bean. Should be easy enough to tell meat from inedible parts.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”How to Butcher and Remove Scent Glands from a Groundhog” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/9a-13JrEaO0?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

I watched that video and couldn’t find the glands. Do they come off with the skin most of the time?

picklerick
    Central WI

Never killed or dressed one before. I’ve seen plenty of butchering and breakdown videos and cut up my share of deer, rabbits, and squirrel and always remove anything that isn’t meat before cooking or packaging for the freezer. I looked around and pretty much just found references to the glands in the armpits the guy showed earlier in the video. I’m betting your nose will tell you if a suspect looking piece is a gland or not.

roadrunner0311

Never killed or dressed one before. I’ve seen plenty of butchering and breakdown videos and cut up my share of deer, rabbits, and squirrel and always remove anything that isn’t meat before cooking or packaging for the freezer. I looked around and pretty much just found references to the glands in the armpits the guy showed earlier in the video. I’m betting your nose will tell you if a suspect looking piece is a gland or not.

I’ve shot plenty of rabbits and never noticed any glands. Do squirrels have glands that need to be removed?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’ve shot plenty of rabbits and never noticed any glands. Do squirrels have glands that need to be removed?

Not that I’m aware of, we always just gutted them out like anything else. I commend you for wanting to not waste this meat, but I would be tossing them somewhere. Good luck.

roadrunner0311

Thanks. I think I’ll try my luck. There are plenty of groundhogs on his property. If I can’t get them to taste right, the rest will get tossed in the woods.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks. I think I’ll try my luck. There are plenty of groundhogs on his property. If I can’t get them to taste right, the rest will get tossed in the woods.

Good luck. Once you try one, let us know your thoughts on the Taste. I guess I would never think of eating one. Unless I was on one of those survival shows. Those people sometimes eat things far less tasty looking that a groundhog.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Not sure why so many turn their noses up at some food that are “out of the norm” to them…
    It’s always nice to know how many would struggle when times get tough.

I ate one when I was in my teens, it was tough when flour pan fried. I might suggest slow cooking or pressure cooking/insta pot.

picklerick
    Central WI

I’ve never seen glands on a rabbit or squirrel and never noticed an off flavor. I always stew or slow braise squirrel or larger rabbits. I’m sure I’d braise the woodchuck too. I’ll eat anything once. Sometimes more than once to try other recipes if I didn’t like the way the first one turned out. I can’t think of a reason to not at least try to eat most critters, except a skunk. I’m sure that whole thing tastes like it smells.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I found out a few years ago, that the dreaded, crinkle-faced idea of eating crow was the best thing I’d ever done! I have some woodchuck meat but haven’t tried it yet (sometimes things get lost in the freezer because I’m thinking there might be more coming).

Crow is a red meat, tastes similar to roast beef, but gamier. The legs taste/look like squirrel, and the liver/heart just like chicken giblets. My favorite thing to do is cut the meat into strips and use it in fajitas or pad thai. It’s good eatin’!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.